Introduction

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

phfactor
Established Member

Introduction

Post by phfactor »

To quote kdawson (more or less), I'm new here, not new to music or Linux.I'm highly trained AND singularly un-accomplished. Been playing music and writing songs since I was 10, mostly on guitar, but some banjo, mandolin, and a fair amount of upright bass at the moment (though my bowing is execrable). I started working in recording studios in the 80's, including building a couple of them, one in the Rounder Records building, but that doesn't means much. Most of my career, after marriage and children, has consisted of either carpentry or computer work. This I was glad to do. As part of an experimental company project, I ran a pre-World-Wide-Web Unix-based BBS, so I came to Linux with a certain familiarity. That being said, I find the chain of configurations one has to follow to produce anything like professional audio in Linux to be maddeningly confusing. And so: LinuxMusicians.com!

I've released or been on 5 independently produced albums, the latest being "7 Upstairs," a collection of jazz and blues tunes as part of a gutar/bass duo called "PR." I'm also in a folk trio fronted by local (Northern California) curmudgeon Michael B. Serious. We have an album coming out in early '19 that I believe Michael is calling "Cheerful Songs of Death and Sorrow." That kind of tells you all you need to know about Michael. And I mean that in a good way. I've engineered and mixed both of these. I like how they came out, but your results may vary. . . .

Now, out of sheer curiosity and some political convictions, I'm trying to shift most, if not all, of my music recording work to Linux. As difficult and annoying as this can be, I keep trying to do it, because if the Linux music-making community reaches a critical mass, it will get more attention from vendors, and I prefer the environment of the FOSS community. I currently use Logic Pro X and Ableton Live on MacOS. My plan is to shift over to Mixbus on Linux, as 95% of what I do is record live audio, and Mixbus seems well suited to that kind of workflow.
Ubuntu 18.04 low-latency kernel.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP Firewire interface
Mixbus 5
Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: Introduction

Post by Jack Winter »

Welcome and hope you will enjoy and find success with our ecosystem!
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi phfactor! Please let us know how it goes. Ask questions and you're certain to get some highly opinionated responses, whatever the subject: hardware choices, system configuration, effects plugins, etc etc etc.
phfactor
Established Member

Post by phfactor »

Jack and Michael,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the participation and the frustration.
Ubuntu 18.04 low-latency kernel.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP Firewire interface
Mixbus 5
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Welcome! Indeed, even not linux is not exception from rule number 1: If there is software, you will have trouble!
Hopefully your troubles will be easily solvable.

I think you already have found right way to go, because you are mostly working with recording, Mixbus is most likely best daw for you.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

phfactor wrote:I'm looking forward to the ... frustration.
That's the spirit!