Greetings from a Linux user and guitarist

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

Greetings from a Linux user and guitarist

Post by Tenaba »

Hello everybody, I've been playing music and using Linux for a while now, yet only recently found out about this place. It looks like there's a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I think there's a lot I can learn on here.

I primarily play guitar (guitarix is great), but I've recently been playing around with some open source software synths. I found out about a while ago Helm, and it's amazing how smooth it looks and feels. I'm just not too experienced with synths in general, though. Honestly, I'm quite impressed with how many options there are to play and create music entirely with open source software. I record my own music sometimes, but I don't really have much to show right now. Hopefully that changes soon.

Let me know if you have any tips on recording, or plugin recommendations. I'd love to hear about some good open software, or even about what kinds of cool gear you've collected. Cheers from Canada.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Greetings from a Linux user and guitarist

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

crownbird wrote:[...] I'd love to hear about some good open software [...]
Welcome! :)

Linux Music specifically I like Qtractor very much as a DAW.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried Qtractor quite a while ago, but I found it a bit hard to learn. I should probably give it another try though, as I've heard it's got some good MIDI editing, at least compared to Ardour which I'm using right now.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

crownbird wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried Qtractor quite a while ago, but I found it a bit hard to learn. I should probably give it another try though, as I've heard it's got some good MIDI editing, at least compared to Ardour which I'm using right now.
If you use Ardour and you like it then there's no reason to switch, I think. All DAW's have a steep learning curve if you ask me. I didn't know that you already had experience with a DAW. :)