How do

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sfgreenwood

How do

Post by sfgreenwood »

Hello from sunny Yorkshire!

I'm not quite new to recording as I have been doing it sporadically for getting on for 35 years with an assortment of machines and computers but I have taken the plunge into using Linux for it semi-seriously in the last few years as I've been using it fairly exclusively for about ten years and working with it for 20.

Current setup is a 2014 Thinkpad X1 Carbon (eBay clearance bargain and seemingly solid and very nice to look at) running Xubuntu with the KXStudio repos. Sound device is a Behringer QX1204USB which is happy enough as a single track recording device but less so running multiple sequencer tracks or VCVRack, which is pretty much why I'm here - looking for some advice on either tuning for running multiple sequencers in Ardour/Mixbus or for alternative software and hardware.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: How do

Post by tavasti »

sfgreenwood wrote:Sound device is a Behringer QX1204USB which is happy enough as a single track recording device but less so running multiple sequencer tracks or VCVRack, which is pretty much why I'm here - looking for some advice on either tuning for running multiple sequencers in Ardour/Mixbus or for alternative software and hardware.
That is mixer with usb interface. Meaning, you can connect plenty of sources, and mix them together, and output to amp or to usb. With that device you can't record multiple tracks separately at the same time, but all your source will be mixed together. Fine for capturing live session, with someone mixing it well enough on record time, but afterwards there is not much you can do.

Check for example here for suitable devices https://www.thomann.de/gb/usb_audio_interfaces.html

You need to define how many channels you need to record same time. More channels you need, more you need to pay for it. And sure, with linux, not all of those channels need to be on same audio interface, but you can combine several interfaces.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

tavasti wrote:That is mixer with usb interface. Meaning, you can connect plenty of sources, and mix them together, and output to amp or to usb.
I don't know about that device in particular, but there are USB mixer that do allow to record separately from each channel. Few are mentioned here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mu ... interfaces
sfgreenwood

Post by sfgreenwood »

Thanks, it's not the actual recording that's the problem but I'm getting into latency issues with a few tracks running simultaneously and I'm not sure if that's an artifact of the laptop or the mixer's onboard DAC. I've been considering a multichannel USB device but I'm also wondering if it's a case of handing off the instruments to multiple processors - a bunch of Raspberry Pis might do it.