Brand new to recording music, but not new to Linux

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AdamBlack
Established Member

Brand new to recording music, but not new to Linux

Post by AdamBlack »

Hey, there!

I got pointed in this direction by some nice people over on the Linux Mint forum. I am here looking for a way to connect a couple musical instruments to my computer. Looking through this forum and I have absolutely no idea where to post these questions. A brief rundown:

Looking for a recommendation on a device I can use to plug my bass guitar and keyboard into my computer for the purpose of recording, mixing and releasing all the awful noise I plan on making with said instruments. I'm currently looking at this thing, but I don't know if it works with Linux.

I'm running Mint 19 on a brand-new rig I built myself. My current batch of music-related software includes Audacity, Hydrogen, LMMS and Rakarrak. Looking at Ardour as well.

As for my musical experience: I played the saxophone in high school, but that was 30+ years ago. I dabble with the bass guitar, and I almost know how to play the piano. I'm at a point in my life where it's time to get serious about practising with both instruments. I'm pretty green at music production, but I'm a comic artist by trade and creating is creating, right? :lol:

So there you go! If someone would be so kind as to point me to the proper subforum so I can get my musical train (wreck) a'rollin', I'd be grateful! Thanks!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Brand new to recording music, but not new to Linux

Post by tavasti »

AdamBlack wrote: Looking for a recommendation on a device I can use to plug my bass guitar and keyboard into my computer for the purpose of recording, mixing and releasing all the awful noise I plan on making with said instruments. I'm currently looking at this thing, but I don't know if it works with Linux.
With quick look, it should work without problems.
For piano and saxophone, you need some microphone, and sure, cable for it. See recommendations:
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/how ... under-150/
AdamBlack wrote: I'm running Mint 19 on a brand-new rig I built myself. My current batch of music-related software includes Audacity, Hydrogen, LMMS and Rakarrak. Looking at Ardour as well.
For recording & mixing Ardour is great option for free software, and if you get yourself rolling with productions, Harrison Mixbus is great option (commercial, ardour with added great mixing interface). They have some discounts often, but right now there might not be, because new version of cheaper Mixbus is coming out soon.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hi and welcome Adam!

I'm using a Focusrite interface, but I sent the two channel Behringer to my brother, and it works very well with Linux. If you plan to use keyboards, think about MIDI inputs as well - these Behringers aren't that expensive, even the bigger ones which offer MIDI additionally to audio. I chose mine (Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen) based on thoughts like these, and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck, make some noise, and send links about the results (your music)! You'll find me in here and also in wikiloops.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
AdamBlack
Established Member

Post by AdamBlack »

Excellent! Thanks for the replies! i am one step closer to finally getting this music out of my head. :D
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

42low wrote:
tavasti wrote:Harrison Mixbus is great option (commercial, ardour with added great mixing interface).
I use ardour and mixxx for that, connected over QjackCTL. Worse option?
Isn't mixxx dj mixing app, so use is most likely different. Mixbus is great for mixing your recoded track, but for live dj style mixing I would that not be suitable.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

42low wrote: What is the benefit of Mixbus then in detail? (not sarcastic. only asking from interest)
Button/function ui for mixing. UI is like real hardware console, you have knobs for compression ratios, eq level and freq, etc. No need to open some menu or window.

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Adam,

Other people beat me to it, but I was going to say that the Behringer interface will likely work for you. When I was outfitting my fledgling music setup, I was considering between Behringer, m-audio, and Focusrite interfaces. I ended up buying the Focusrite one because I found a good deal, it had midi, and admittedly I liked the red color :)

I'm here to encourage you to pick up the saxophone again. I played clarinet as a student, then I didn't do much with it for decades. Just last year I bought a nicer clarinet and started practicing again. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the muscle memory came back. I also learned that I had been doing the embouchure all wrong as a student :oops: ... anyway, it's been fun playing again. While learning how to record, I did a quick cover of Pure Imagination with my brother-in-law playing the digital piano. I'm still in the early phases of learning, but if you want to talk about recording a reed instrument, I would love to share what I have discovered so far in terms of stereo mic setup and instrument positioning and such.

You're on the right track with the software that you listed. Definitely explore Ardour to find out if you like it. If you are interested in midi, you might also try QTractor, Rose Garden, and/or Muse. Let us hear some of your music once you have something to share!
AdamBlack
Established Member

Post by AdamBlack »

Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations! I'll be buying my recording gear probably early next week (still waiting for a client check to come in) and I'll definitely keep you guys updated on what I do. Got a LOT of bass and piano practice to put in in the months ahead, so it might be awhile. Not to mention my regular comic deadlines; my music creating is gonna be all back-burner creating for the time being. Nature of the beast!
Michael Willis wrote:I'm here to encourage you to pick up the saxophone again.
Wouldn't that be fun? I'm giving it some serious consideration. I'll probably be in the market for a sax next spring; right now I wanna see about a pawn shop or Craigslist electric 6-string to compliment my bass and keyboard (and drum machine). Nothin' fancy. Even a used Squier is enough for my purposes.

Thanks again, everyone! I will be back to this forum as needed. You guys are a great source of information, especially for someone like me who's just getting started. :D
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

AdamBlack wrote:a pawn shop or Craigslist electric 6-string
Take a look at Reverb.com as well. Aside from having possibly the most clever name for a second-hand-music-gear website, it regularly has a number of good deals. I even bought my intermediate clarinet from a seller there. Of course caveat emptor and all that, there is some risk to buying stuff online sight unseen.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

No-one has mentioned Bitwig. So here goes.
bitwig.jpg
bitwig.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 1235 times