Going full libre software

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kernel_Mode
Established Member

Going full libre software

Post by Kernel_Mode »

Hello everyone, I used to make music on FL Studio a while ago, and decided recently to stop using proprietary software completely.

So basically, I'm going to migrate completely to libre software, which mean that I'll be using a new DAW, and new plugins. I only used the native instruments and plugins in FL Studio (3xOsc, FL Keys, I was also a big fan of Sytrus and Harmor looked promising; Fruity Equalizer/Distorsion/Waveshaper/Reverb etc), except for Vocodex SPAN Visual EQ.

I produce exclusively electronic music. I prefer the harder styles, AKA Hardstyle, Hardcore and Frenchcore, but am open to most other genre like Drum and Bass, Dubstep and Psytrance, however I'd rather stick to only one or two genre as music is not my full time hobby. It took me a while to be good enough at producing Hardcore, and I aim to produce Frenchcore and possibly Drum and Bass in the future.

I'll see you around then.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Going full libre software

Post by sysrqer »

It's certainly possible to do those styles with libre software but unless you feel particularly strongly in area I would suggest considering renoise. LMMS might be alright for what you want but all the libre daw have issues, mostly in the area of workflow. I respect it if you feel strongly about libre but honestly I feel that at the moment you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. You might want to explore unfa's youtube channel if you do want to go down that route (or even if you don't his videos are worthwhile).
Kernel_Mode
Established Member

Re: Going full libre software

Post by Kernel_Mode »

I have spent enough years using software that I have no control over. Today, I want to know how it work under the hood, which is illegal with those software. I spent enough money on software that I can no longer use, because it won't even run on GNU/Linux. If I don't like something in it, modifying it is not even an option, as it is illegal. In some case, the software even tell on you. You even have to ask for the permission to install it more than a number of time. It's using the proprietary softwares that is a problem.