hi all

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Reaccion Raul

hi all

Post by Reaccion Raul »

Hi all,

I've been kicking in Linux Mint xfce for a year or so and i would really love to jump on Ardour for mastering my home recordings. I play guitar and record myself. Right now making a kinda velvet-lo-fi like acoustic set. So i like it analog-like-dirty.

I record on a Tascam dp 32 (which i love) and would like to make finishing touches on Ardour. I need some advice for this. What plugins do you use for mastering issues? I need to add a nice reverb for the whole sound, tape kind of distortion / saturation and of course compression and a nice clipper or limiter / maximizer. I come from Windows. To get the idea i have been using (previously) mostly some Reverb + EQ + Kramer Master Tape + T-racks 3 (compression and clipper, sometimes just only clipper).

I hope you guys can help me! i would really like to kill my Windows Vista, i only maintain it for this. I don't really want to port via Wine the stuff. What i do is simple and i can come to this directly via Linux. Just need some tips on good plugins for this kind of stuff.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: hi all

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Raul! You should try both Guitarix and Rakarrack if you haven't yet. If you find that you like Rakarrack, be aware that there is a project called rkr-lv2 that makes all of Rakarrack's effects available as LV2 plugins that you can put in the Ardour mixer.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: hi all

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi there! Welcome!
Reaccion Raul wrote:To get the idea i have been using (previously) mostly some Reverb + EQ + Kramer Master Tape + T-racks 3 (compression and clipper, sometimes just only clipper).
I am not familiar with any of those plugins, but I really like Calf plugins, which are my favorite for mixing and mastering. I also like (and I am contributing to) the LSP project, which I would recommend checking out. I previously also used Invada plugins too and I would recommend also DISTRHO plugins.
Reaccion Raul wrote:I don't really want to port via Wine the stuff.
A lot of stuff works real well, but I don't like that approach either. I prefer to use native Linux goodies.
Reaccion Raul wrote:I hope you guys can help me! i would really like to kill my Windows Vista
I killed Windows completely around when VIsta come out. Best decision I ever made.