Hello from Sweden

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nthxz

Hello from Sweden

Post by nthxz »

Hello, Linux musicians

Incredibly glad to see this place! I am a nineteen year old student, about to finally jump into work and live in my own place. Trumpeter, singer and "komp gitarrist" as we say in swedish (I don't play as much solo as a guitarist normally does hehe, more of a chord oriented player.)

You know, it seems to me that, in the past everytime I've wanted to do something, anything really: play game with friends, graphical design, record music, do school work... I've most of the times had to resort to using Windows and I've always felt dirty, you know. Though the stuff just gives me a headache.
Gradually Linux has entered my life. I'm really pleased with that change! I now finally able to play on a SteamOS dedicated PC in the livingroom, do graphics design on another computer running Iro os and work on... well, my mobile actually :lol: it feels great. No Windows. Zero. Nada! :D :D :D

My issue is that I haven't been recording music since I made the shift to Linux. Currently only have one digital mixer, it's a ZOOM U-22. It was a birthday present, but I've figured the lack of drivers sadly make this thing unusable with Linux (afaik). So my best course of action is to sell that and buy an audio interface from the ALSA supported list, right?
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

However... I have this old Allen & Heath GL 2000 laying around. It just eats at my heart to have that old darling just collecting dust. Would love to make use of it as a part of the studio as much as possible!

TLDR: Is there any way to practically use my old Allen & Heath GL 2000 for digital recording?

Thank you for having me, LM.
Have a nice day // B
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello from Sweden

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi nthxz! Welcome to this forum. Sorry, I can't help you with your hardware issues, other than I can suggest some interfaces that I know work well on Linux, but let's see if somebody else here knows more.
nthxz wrote:Trumpeter
Ooooh, what kind of music do you perform with the trumpet?
nthxz

Post by nthxz »

Hi, Michael

I started out half a decade ago and then some (proud to finally be able to say that hehe) with orchestra (found myself loving the "2nd trumpet" role) which then led into some jazz group. Never really got that far with that jazz group, because of very much revolving in my personal life at the moment. In a way those things still hangs over me to this today. I actually moved towns to get my own space.
Throughout this jazz was a relief, recall wonderful moments when I actually snuck out in the middle of the night like some other public disturbance and would sit outside with my trumpet, someplace in town or on some rock in some forest. Very glad about the opportunity to have met those jazz musicians.

But nowadays as soon as I touch the trumpet it's just a whole lot of memories bubbling up. I keep myself from stagnating too much though, can't let the years fully go to waste!

I look forward to sharing with people here in the future. I trust my Austin Spirit mic will work for trumpet aswell when that day comes.

Thank you for asking! Have a nice day, Michael
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi there!
nthxz wrote: So my best course of action is to sell that and buy an audio interface from the ALSA supported list, right?
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
Alsa Matrix will help for sure, but not all the compatible interfaces are listed there. You might want to do some further research beyond the Alsa Matrix. Make sure you read the information on the Matrix: it will tell you the state of support (not just assume it will be nice and plug and play just if it is listed there). Many users here (including me) have very happy experiences with Focusrite interfaces and Behringher interfaces (you can find a Scarlett 2i4 old gen review on my blog in signature).
nthxz wrote:However... I have this old Allen & Heath GL 2000 laying around. It just eats at my heart to have that old darling just collecting dust. Would love to make use of it as a part of the studio as much as possible!

TLDR: Is there any way to practically use my old Allen & Heath GL 2000 for digital recording?
Nice piece of kit! Seems more oriented to setting up PA system than studio recordings, but I believe you can do a lot of stuff with it. If every single channel has its own output, it might be a nice input and pre processing device for a similarly sized (32 channels) soundcard. Another good use I would think of is setting some clever mutibranch chains as in this seminar. Perhaps, there are many more traditional uses, but I am not accustomed to large consoles.