Hello Everyone!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

galaxitor
Established Member

Hello Everyone!

Post by galaxitor »

Greetings from Porto, Portugal!

I studied piano and organ when I was a little one till my teenage years and now, more than twenty years later, older and (barely) wiser, my interest for music came back when I discovered the fascinating world of software synthesizers (ZynAddSubFX, Yoshimi, amSynth, etc) in Linux.

I expect to learn a lot from your technical wizadry. :-)
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by folderol »

Welcome here :)

It is a shock when you see how much has changed what you weren't looking isn't it?

Oh, and a tip I was once given a good few years ago by Larry Adler was that it is easy to be fooled by intense and dramatic sounds. When you compose a new tune, play it on the simplest instrument you have. if it still sounds good you're OK!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
galaxitor
Established Member

Post by galaxitor »

Hi folderol
It is a shock when you see how much has changed what you weren't looking isn't it?
Oh, definitely. It seems it was only yesterday when I was an 8-years-old and my parents were buying me my first electronic piano, while I was ogling the much cooler looking synthesizer next to it (an Yamaha DX7, I believe). Of course, I ended up with the boring electronic piano (a Casio Tonebank, I forgot which model was). Nowadays whe have much more advanced stuff at cheaper prices, but I decided to save money and continuing to use my also ancient-but-still-reliable Yamaha PSR-SQ16. I am having trouble connecting it to my Linux box but I will talk about that in the appropriate forum.
When you compose a new tune, play it on the simplest instrument you have. if it still sounds good you're OK!
I completely agree. In fact, my first experiences, after figuring out how to connect my Yamaha to LMMS in QjackCtl, will be creating chiptune music. I love music from the 8bit - 16bit era. I admire how they manage to make so much with so little. Google "Axelay Soundtrack" as an example. That's masterful work. I do not expect creating something of that calibre soon. Maybe one day, after much, much , much practice. I will try to create much simpler things first.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

folderol wrote:Oh, and a tip I was once given a good few years ago by Larry Adler was that it is easy to be fooled by intense and dramatic sounds. When you compose a new tune, play it on the simplest instrument you have. if it still sounds good you're OK!
And if you are incompetent like me, and can't compose something which sounds ok, you can still be saved by those intense and dramatic sounds!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

galaxitor
Established Member

Post by galaxitor »

Thank You, Everyone! :-)