everything! how to? newbee

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Skalman
Established Member

everything! how to? newbee

Post by Skalman »

To the Moderator:
Please move this to the correct thread, thank You.
----------------------------------
Hi!
New to the LinuxMint and I do have thousands of how-to questions.

Earlier I used the Edirol sound sampel from acustic intsruments and the Sonar vers3 (replace for the Cacewalk9).
I have a Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro external soundcard. Win XP and W7.

Now I succeeded to get sound out of the Focusritevia the LinuxMint 18.3 but I need sequencer or what they are called, programs and digitalised sounds from acoustic instruments to get on with Linux. And sew all that togehter working. But I have absolute no information/knowledge about those things in Linux environment. Heard about the Rosegarden but failed to run it. And I'm not sure it is the right program for me.

Many of the sequencers under Win has for me too many functions that I do not need. And they miss some for me important options.
Why?

Well, the way I compose music in light classical style and influences from Barock and the Vienna style. I "hear" the music inside my head and test it on the piano. Then write the notes in the Sonar3 program. Put on/in the synth pretending it is a real live acoustic violin for instants and play the music, Do lot of work/" efford" via the piano roll and other controls to get it to play as like a live musician as I can. After that I burn a CD and print out the notes.

Newer versions of the Sonar and other program are not useful for me. There was a Swedish program called "Notehead". You could put there small signs like the f or p or a "fermat" , can't show them here, and when playing back the program executed them like in the "real" word with live-musicians. That was the only program I found doing that. But unfortunately they disappeared from the market. Guess why, to expensive and to little people using it. I can live with the Sonar but the solution using it under the "Wine"......in that case I can go on continue using the windows.

So now reading this....what would you people suggest me to use with Linux Min 18.3 or other options/versions.
I appreciate your answers and hope to find solution to continue writing music, tired of the old XP
Thank You!!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: everything! how to? newbee

Post by tavasti »

Skalman wrote: Heard about the Rosegarden but failed to run it. And I'm not sure it is the right program for me.
Rodegarden might be correct option if you want to write your music as notes. Nearly all other programs are using piano roll-type notation.

For rest of your email, can't say anything, don't know those windows softwares you mentioned.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

If you want to write simple notation for orchestra, piano, etc. you might try MuseScore, which is designed to be a simple notation program with reasonable sound playback. If I remember right, it has some templates that are already set up with virtual instrument samples to make sound without having to do routing on audio/midi channels and such.

Rosegarden might also work, but I think you'll have to understand how to set up the midi tracks to make sound.

You might also look at Qtractor or Ardour, but they will take more learning to use properly, and I think neither one currently supports music notation.
Skalman
Established Member

Post by Skalman »

Thank You Michael Willis for the hint. I have been away a time but will check it out now, the MuseScore.

By the way, where to find "samples, Wavetables" and so on...where they recorded real acustic instruments and made a digital file. The sequenser program then can use them for playback, soundig almost like real acustic instruments.

And... is there somewhere a "tutorial" for newbees like me and the Rosgarden and the Linux together? i have installed the Rosegarden but that's it all.

Tanks.
Skalman
Established Member

Post by Skalman »

Wow!
that was exactly what i wanted.
Now i give it time to learn to use it,
Thank You!!
:D
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Skalman wrote: By the way, where to find "samples, Wavetables" and so on...where they recorded real acustic instruments and made a digital file. The sequenser program then can use them for playback, soundig almost like real acustic instruments.
Tanks.
Here are a bunch of sfz (samples) Note: the sfz are zipped up in a directory ; leave the directory intact!

To use sfz / soundfonts in Musescore refer to these pages A good introduction to MuseScore is on this youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/MuseScoreHowTo
MuseScore 2.0 in Minutes is the playlist you'll want to see.

Rosegarden uses the DSSI plugin format for instruments, maybe linuxsampler comes in that format, dunno. It seems DSSI is a rather old plugin format. Most modern plugins are released as VST or LV2.

I personally use MuseScore to write the scores and playback. If I want to make a more polished production of it, I export the scores as midi and import them in a more modern DAW, like Ardour or Qtractor.
Especially Qtractor is very good for midi/instruments production.
When my project requires more complex audio routing I prefer to use Ardour in such cases. That's just a matter of personal preference.

Another tip, if you feel like it : join the #opensourcemusicians irc channel; lot's of knowledgeable users in that channel , and it's nice the get instant feedback. The channel is on Freenode (you could use https://webchat.freenode.net/ to go online, but a nice irc client like hexchat might be better).

And never be shy to ask questions :-)

Cheers
Rob
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Answer to everything:

GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845

HF@freedom ~ $ ;-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.