Hello from Belgium

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

frostfall
Established Member

Hello from Belgium

Post by frostfall »

Hello everybody,

I've been using linux as my main OS for more than 10 years now (Linux Mint for desktop and Debian for servers at my job).

Back in 1997 I was using WIN98 and a DAW called Quartz Audio Master. I was very happy with it as it was intuitive and mixed midi / wave tracks. Later in the 2000's when I tried to move to newer stuff I was not very happy with other software, because most of the time they were wave only and/or very complicated to use. Eventually I stopped making music because I had no time anymore.

2 month ago I thought that I would be happy to make music again so I searched for new software. I was quite stunned to see how much the way of making music has changed. I found Ardour first, and I must say it's a great DAW. It has midi and wave tracks, intuitive interface, plugins. I'm also using Carla a lot for its capacity to load pretty much every plugins, including windows VST. I'm using guitar effects plugins, but also instrument plugins for keyboard tracks.

I've learned a lot of things during these 2 months so I though it would be great to share ideas with you :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I think it would be great if you'd share ideas w/ everybody too! A DAW that attracks more and more love and attention from us Linux musicians is Qtractor who's kind developer, rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela, is active on this forum. I find using DAWs extremely difficult so I'm still playing around w/ it to learn the basics (after months, or almost a year). See this Linuxmusicians topic about a lengthy and great tutorial on Youtube and these youtube links:
I do not know (yet) why Ardour is said to be better w/ audio than other DAWs (like Qtractor) but I'm hoping that somebody w/ experience with both will explain that to me. One thing is for sure: Qtractor is better w/ MIDI. Another great DAW (alas for midi only) is LMMS. I find LMMS's user interface the easiest to understand. However, one must make one's audio tracks in another program (like Audacity) and import them.

Welcome! :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

42low wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:I do not know (yet) why Ardour is said to be better w/ audio than other DAWs (like Qtractor) but I'm hoping that somebody w/ experience with both will explain that to me. One
I don't now that someone said Ardour is better. At least not in this topic. And i also hardly ever to never read that on this forum.

The main advantage off linux is that you can use different styles and sorts of software next to eachother. And that's what i do too.
Sorry: I must explain myself better. Qtractor and Ardour both have Midi and "live audio" recording and editing capabilities. Some say Ardour has more possibilities concerning "live audio" recording and/or editing. Qtractor, some say, has more Midi capabilities.
frostfall
Established Member

Post by frostfall »

Welcome!
Were in B. N, E, S, W?
I'm leaving near Liège so in the east of Belgium ^^
I think it would be great if you'd share ideas w/ everybody too! A DAW that attracks more and more love and attention from us Linux musicians is Qtractor who's kind developer, rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela, is active on this forum. I find using DAWs extremely difficult so I'm still playing around w/ it to learn the basics (after months, or almost a year). See this Linuxmusicians topic about a lengthy and great tutorial on Youtube and these youtube links
Thank you very much!! I tried it quickly but it crashes when I do the following thing : Add a midi track, put Carla patchbay as plugin, add Kontakt 5 Free player in Carla. A wine windows appear and the plugin can't be loaded. (??)It works in Ardour, so I think I will stick to it for the moment :)

Anyway I think I'll begin to post in the plugin section if I have time tomorrow ^^
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

Welcome! I'm from belgium too. Eastern-flanders south of Ghent.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Welcome, and thanks to 42low for reminding me to try LMMS. The midi handling is good and I had success triggering my own samples, as well as synths via the Carla patchbay. I can output this to Ardour or Tracktion Waveform for further editing as audio.