Greetings from Tallahassee, FL (USA)

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Brian
Established Member

Greetings from Tallahassee, FL (USA)

Post by Brian »

hello all --

My name is Brian. I've been an electronics tinkerer and gadget builder since before I hit puberty. In the past, I've done engineering work including building/testing of microcontroller circuits as well as coding firmware and end-user software applications. There may even be a few MIDI-based homebrew projects under my belt! ;)

I got involved in music when I was in college; a group of friends had a regular weekly get-together, and needed a bass player. Hey! ...only four strings, I should be able to handle that! ;) It didn't take long for my electronics hobby and budding music hobby to merge, and I dove right into MIDI stuff head-first. Keyboards, controllers, synthesizers, and miles of audio and MIDI cabling amassed. Three household moves ago, 99% of my music gear was packed up, and I'm just now getting it unpacked and set up again.

While I'm forced to suffer on Windows during the day at work (I'm a database administrator), I've been using Linux exclusively on my home computers for the last 15 years or more. I've done some coding on a few Linux software projects in the past -- I'm sure some of that experience will come in handy as I go about setting up my home studio again, this time using Linux-based computers instead of DOS.

I don't really consider myself a "musician", but (technically speaking) I have been paid to perform on stage with others who are considered musicians, and have even signed a few autographs when asked (I'm sure those people had no idea who I was, but they knew who the person headed backstage in front of me was (and they got his autograph, so I guess they figured they'd better get mine as well).

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to find a spot to fit in around here. :)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Tallahassee, FL (USA)

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Brian,

Like you, I started experimenting with electronics at a fairly young age. My introduction to music was playing in band from grade school through high school, and I also picked up an interest in Linux about 15 years ago. I look forward to hearing some sound from you!
Brian
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Tallahassee, FL (USA)

Post by Brian »

Michael Willis wrote: I look forward to hearing some sound from you!
Ha ha ha -- yeah, people always say that until they hear me! :lol:

I'm anxious to get the MIDI stuff connected up again. On the other hand, as poor as they may have been at the time, my "chops" have no doubt deteriorated over the intervening 20 years or so since I last fiddled with this stuff. I still know how to find middle C on the keyboard, so I don't have to start at Step 1. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome! It looks like there's a lot of community and valuable information here (a resource that was not as readily available to me 20 years ago), so perhaps that along with what (little?) I might remember should make the learning curve a bit less arduous.