Hello from Australia

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Oldmac
Established Member

Hello from Australia

Post by Oldmac »

Hi fellas, Im a long time musician ( about 20 years ) who plays several instruments, who essentially creates his own music. i used Logic Pro 9 before taking up linux Ardour several weeks ago. The learning curve has been painful to say the least, but appears to be worthwhile. I cant read music, but I play by ear and copy what I hear. The main instrument I play now is guitar, my style is mainly hard rock. I also have studied audio engineering and have recorded and been recorded in several studios. Anyway thats a little about me, and I hope to learn more about linux pro audio and pass on any info I can in the process. Look forward to conversing with you guys. :D - Old Mac
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Old Mac, welcome to the forum. We have a lot of friendly users with a variety of knowledge, don't be afraid to ask.

Also, if you specifically need help with Ardour, there is usually somebody on their IRC channel willing to answer questions, I've found that to be the fastest way for me.
ufug
Established Member

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by ufug »

Welcome Oldmac. We share a similar trajectory except I got a head start on you by a few years. ;) It's a big change, but if you stick with it through the painful moments, it will really pay off. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with using Linux.

Also, if you start getting into Ardour and are OK using some non-open source stuff, it's worth at least taking a look at Mixbus. It's built on Ardour but has a different mixing section with top notch EQ, compressors, tape saturation emulation and pre-configured busses baked in. A bit more intuitive for people from an analogue/hardware background IMHO.
listenable at c6a7.org