Glad I found You All

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

artdeco
Established Member

Glad I found You All

Post by artdeco »

Hi all,
Long time Linux user since early Slackware http://imgur.com/BX5QdwC. Change to Linux Mint at version 7 mainly for package management, currently on 17, but considering Manjaro Deepin (community edition).

I use Windows as an IT guy, but Windows 10 tore it for me. I have a dual-boot system at home but rarely use Windows. I've been using CrossOver Linux https://www.codeweavers.com/for the couple of Windows programs I need. I am an absolute beginner at using FL Studio and DAWs , but have would like to experiment with playing my electric guitar through a DAW for the effects and to record some loops for backing tracks.

I am moving away from Windows and would love to be able to use Linux for most of my musical experiments.

I look forward to learning from you all and sharing information!

Cheers to everyone.
wjl
Established Member

Re: Glad I found You All

Post by wjl »

Hi and welcome artdeco (and your real name?).

I'm on Debian since - don't remember - about 15 years or so? Like you, IT guy with Ubuntu at work, but lots of Windows clients and servers at our customers'.

Using Musescore, QTractor, Ardour, sometimes Audacity (for voice over stuff in videos). And yes, I also have a Win10 partition - but only for the occasional Olympus program (photography), or to have a look at some free (as in beer, not as in speech) stuff I've got with my Focusrite interface this year.

So - welcome again. This is a friendly place is what I've learnt so far.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Welcome to the forum!

Just curious, which Windows apps are you running with CrossOver? Do you want to keep using FL Studio, or are you interested in Linux-native alternatives? From what I can tell, LMMS seems to be the most similar Linux-native app to FL Studio, but I haven't used it much. For live recording with plugins, a lot of people like Ardour. The trouble with Linux is also the nice thing about Linux: there are many many options about how to set up for audio production, so there's a lot to learn, but you can more or less arbitrarily wire up the different components how ever you want, which gives you the possibility of customizing to your heart's content.

If you'll write some more details about what exactly you want to do (just audio? or mixed audio + midi? what kind of plugins? etc.), you will get plenty of suggestions about things that you can try.
artdeco
Established Member

Post by artdeco »

Michael Willis wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Just curious, which Windows apps are you running with CrossOver? Do you want to keep using FL Studio, or are you interested in Linux-native alternatives? From what I can tell, LMMS seems to be the most similar Linux-native app to FL Studio, but I haven't used it much. For live recording with plugins, a lot of people like Ardour. The trouble with Linux is also the nice thing about Linux: there are many many options about how to set up for audio production, so there's a lot to learn, but you can more or less arbitrarily wire up the different components how ever you want, which gives you the possibility of customizing to your heart's content.

If you'll write some more details about what exactly you want to do (just audio? or mixed audio + midi? what kind of plugins? etc.), you will get plenty of suggestions about things that you can try.
Don't laugh - Microsoft Money from 1995, Word and Excel and of course FL Studio.
I want to play and record my electric guitar into FL Studio to make backing tracks for me now and see what happens as I improve. No vocals, I do have a midi keyboard. Just bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for recording into FL Studio. I would check out LMMS if it will work with Solo.
Will definitely check out Ardour.
artdeco
Established Member

Post by artdeco »

wjl wrote:Hi and welcome artdeco (and your real name?).

I'm on Debian since - don't remember - about 15 years or so? Like you, IT guy with Ubuntu at work, but lots of Windows clients and servers at our customers'.

Using Musescore, QTractor, Ardour, sometimes Audacity (for voice over stuff in videos). And yes, I also have a Win10 partition - but only for the occasional Olympus program (photography), or to have a look at some free (as in beer, not as in speech) stuff I've got with my Focusrite interface this year.

So - welcome again. This is a friendly place is what I've learnt so far.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang,
I also just bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. Have you used yours with Linux? Any luck?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 on Linux without any trouble, I just plug it in and JACK recognizes all of the audio and midi inputs and outputs. I imagine that you'll be fine using native Linux audio apps with the Scarlett Solo.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

artdeco wrote:Hi Wolfgang,
I also just bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. Have you used yours with Linux? Any luck?
Yes - my Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen runs out of the proverbial box. No drivers needed except when/if I want to use it with Windows. So I don't. That free (as in beer) stuff under Windows can't reach the free (as in speech) tools under Linux.
more about me on my blog