Hi from ..me

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

plotino
Established Member

Hi from ..me

Post by plotino »

Hello everybody.
Unfortunately im not a happy linux musicians.
In fact after several fights, i have no still my pratical and functioning solution.
My config is:
Desktop pc
Edirol-fa66 firewire
Kx-studio
Midi keyboard
Jack audio server

For the audio production sw i have tried
Rosegarden
Lmms
Qtractor
Any of them has really good worked for me.
Lmms get xrun increase undefinitely
Rosegarden is not actually any synth sound
Qtractor has no facility that i need

I forgot to say that my goal is to produce some backing tracks to play over with my bass

Bye

Plot
raboof
Established Member

Re: Hi from ..me

Post by raboof »

Hi plot,

Sorry to hear thing haven't been working out for you yet... 2 things to try might be to use LMMS without JACK (having it output to the soudcard via ALSA directly), or using Rosegarden together with something like QSynth and a soundfont (but that'll require some more fiddling around).

It's been a while since I tried it but perhaps Musescore could also be an option?
plotino
Established Member

Post by plotino »

Thank you 42low and raboof.
My intention is to create backing tracks with drums, bass, piano, etc to improvise with electric bass over.

Yes, already try to use hydrogen but for me the best would be to have only one program to make everything.

Rosegargen + actually do not play sound, or not stable playing in general.

Musescore is not for notation editing??

About the raccomdation to avoid .. jack... ok i will try

The current configuration of jack allows about 5ms of latency. Without using it, i do will have same performance s??

Cheers,

Plot
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

plotino wrote:About the raccomdation to avoid .. jack... ok i will try
Don't get me wrong, I think JACK is a great piece of software in general, but the implementation in LMMS has had its problems in the past, so if you want to use that (and don't need JACK's features) it might be a good workaround.
plotino wrote:The current configuration of jack allows about 5ms of latency. Without using it, i do will have same performance s??
Yes, generally you can expect the same performance when using ALSA directly compared to when using JACK. The cool thing about JACK is you can string multiple applications together without losing that performance.

5ms is pretty low though - if you don't really need real-time processing (which it seems you don't) you might be able to get rid of some xruns by choosing larger buffer sizes (this will increase the latency but reduce the xruns).
plotino
Established Member

Post by plotino »

I had the need to force so low latency because when using midi keyb with lmms, i experienced and unacceptable delay in event transmission and recording.

I have reviewed latency for jack and lmms and finally a get a better response.
But the xrun make the production impossible. Noise and interruption during recording. Nigthmare.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Welcome!

I use Rosegarden for midi sequencing. Rosegarden doesn't make sound by itself; it needs a synthetiser. You can easily use a soft synth as a plugin, for example you can use a soundfount player called fluidsynth-dssi plugin, in which you have to load a soundfont. FluidR3_GM.sf2 is a general MIDI soundfount available from debian/ubuntu/kxstudio:

sudo apt install fluidsynth-dssi fluid-soundfont-gm

The soundfont will install to /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2, which is not a very convenient place to look for it, so you might want to copy or move it to your home directory

sudo cp /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 /home/plotino/

(or whatever your username is).

From now on, in Rosegarden tell the tracks to use a synth plugin, select fluidsynth-dssi and load the soundfont. You only need to do this once, for each track.

There are more ways to get sound out of Rosegarden, but I find this the easiest to get started.

The above is, more or less, valid for other linux midi sequencers. LMMS is a special case, more user-friendly as it makes sounds since the beginning, but jack unfriendly so rather useless if you use something more than just the computer to make music especially if you need low latency.

Regarding latency, don't push too much. Use the higher latency that it is still good for a smooth playing, no more but no less.
plotino
Established Member

Post by plotino »

thank you pablo, i will try RG with fluidsynth plugin ..
but today, after messing arounf with jack, i m not able to have sound by Audacious by jack ports.
Again i experienced all the complexity and the instability of linux based DAW.

Im little bit exhausted becaiuse finally, i want to play and create music, not struggling with software

plot