Hi, I'm new here.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

axelb

Hi, I'm new here.

Post by axelb »

Hello brave folks,

I'm a guitarist, teacher, songwriter and a few things more... and I have a love/hate relationship with computers. On the one hand, I've been fascinated by them ever since I got my first Win95 machine when I was already in my early 20s. That was about 20 years ago, and since then I've spent countless hours geeking out, programming websites, recording music, learning to program SuperCollider etc.pp. On the other hand, I still feel like a n00b all too often and I sometimes think of myself as an anomaly since I tend to find bugs in every software I touch within the first 5 minutes of playing with it. :lol:

The Mac has been my main platform for the last 12 years or so and I have been mostly happy with it, until lately. Now that all the big corporate players have started to fantasize about so-called "smart" computers, I have decided I need to get away from this madness and get me a computer that is just as stupid as my Mac but at least doesn't insult me by pretending it's smarter than I am.

So I bought a used Thinkpad X220, put 16Gb of ram and a nice SSD in it and started experimenting with Linux distributions. I soon found out that although Mint and Ubuntu Mate feel really nice and capable (sort of like a friendly and improved Windows 7), I noticed I wanted something more radical. So, I installed Arch with i3wm. I've read about 10000 wiki and man pages edited as many config files, got frustrated and excited... and four weeks later I have a system that almost works the way I want it to.

I haven't sold my Mac yet but with Tracktion and SuperCollider and maybe soon Reaper available on Linux I might some day, if all goes well.

I've mainly registered here to get answers to my Alsa/Jack questions but I'm also interested in who those other people here are. :D

Cheers,
Axel
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hi, I'm new here.

Post by folderol »

Hi,
There's lots of different people here. I would guess there is at least one of each speciality and a few of us jobbing hangers-on :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}