Ahoy!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

schivmeister
Established Member

Ahoy!

Post by schivmeister »

Great to see this kind of an effort. It's time we got a centralized location, big kudos to the man or woman behind this initiative.

Greetings from Singapore. I don't love what I do - I do what I love :mrgreen: That includes music, computers and fine arts. Was a Philosophy student til recently, now awaiting admission to study Linguistics and then serve the country by signing a (death) pact with National Service. Freelancing for a few audio projects during spare time mainly on software sequencing/synthesizing and programming drum tracks. Have yet to master the trade of audio engineering, though am looking forward to setting up a Linux-only studio if fortune is by my side. Occasionally end up dabbling in macabre art and systems administration, at which point I tend to get too busy to do audio work or pick up the guitar. I bought a HAS-Sound humbucking single-coil for my Jackson last year and it's still not installed. My gear is basically pathetic.

I was a pretty strange kid, maybe still am. At 13/14 I was way into this Punk culture thing, after which this Metal thing, then this Linux thing..and so on. I grow fast, mentally. Becoming an adult (at 16) finally has proven to be an advantage contrary to my pre-teen beliefs. I now have no problem listening to different styles of music, I love it if it's lovely. I played in less than 5 bands to this day, just can't seem to find the time to commit. That's why I stick to being a sessionist. Despite all that, I must say I'm an avid fan of Metal - forever. Yarghhh!!!

Korpiklaani
Quo Vadis
Månegarm
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Tanzwut?
Saltatio Mortis?
Schandmaul?
Corvus Corax?
Ronan Hardiman?
Michael Flatley..WTF?

Yeah you guessed it, I'm a Folk person. Metal or not, Rock or not, if it's Folk it must get a listen. Aside from that, Technical, Industrial and/or Melodic Death cuts it too. Number 1 fan of Quo Vadis, indeed. My favourite instruments are electric guitar (not very good with acoustic), percussion, violin (still practising). I'd love to be able to do winds too, but I'm out of breath even now. Smoking kills. As for software:

Arch Linux
Qt
KDE
Yakuake
Nano
KWrite
Ardour
Hydrogen
LMMS
ReZound

Like I mentioned somewhere else, if it's music and/or Linux, I'm talking. I'm here to help and get help. First of all, thorgal must write up a JAMin tutorial :lol:
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

wow, you sound like some hell of a kind :D

for the jamin tut, look here : http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=142 :)