Hey from Nashville

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tom Jerome
Established Member

Hey from Nashville

Post by Tom Jerome »

I'm a Cakewalk Sonar user, trying out Ubuntu Studio with a Lexicon Alpha, which works great with Ubuntu, as far as system sounds, Jack, Audacious & Audacity go -- not so good with Ardour (won't record) and Rosegarden (records but won't play back any sound). I'm thinking of trying 64 Studio, see if Ardour and my computer work together better under that distro.
nreese
Established Member

Re: Hey from Nashville

Post by nreese »

Ardour problems - uninstall pulseaudio - check in the Jack setup that you have interface / input / output configured correctly. You should be able to see your interface in the list (click on the > box next to the interface drop down. The same goes for input and output. What are you using to input sound?
male
Established Member

Post by male »

Tom Jerome wrote:I'm a Cakewalk Sonar user, trying out Ubuntu Studio with a Lexicon Alpha, which works great with Ubuntu, as far as system sounds, Jack, Audacious & Audacity go -- not so good with Ardour (won't record) and Rosegarden (records but won't play back any sound). I'm thinking of trying 64 Studio, see if Ardour and my computer work together better under that distro.
Welcome, Tom! I'm from Memphis, myself. Lived in Nashville for a few years as well. Not to toot my own horn, but if Ardour isn't doing it for you, you might want to check out Non (http://non.tuxfamily.org). Made in Memphis.
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Hi, Tom.

You might want to try the booting with the KXStudio live DVD. You wouldn't have to install anything unless you wanted to, and it would let you see how your system works when it's configured properly. That is, of course, assuming KXStudio works OK on your system hardware. It works for me.

If KXStudio worked, you would then have some reasonable expectation that you could tweak Ubuntustudio into working order, too.
Tom Jerome
Established Member

Post by Tom Jerome »

Thanks guys. I will try your suggestions. I did install DreamStudio which is ubuntu 11.04. QjackCtl shows no errors in the message field with this build (unlike ubuntu studio 13), but still no input in Ardour. At least this build is consistent, since Audacity also doesn't do anything. But I can play mp3s and hear them thru the Alpha no problem. I think I'll try tweaking this DreamStudio build. Ordered a book on command line Linux... takes me back to the 80s and DOS commands :-)
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

check out these two threads:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11248
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10118

at this point 11.04 is also a little old, you may want to try 12.04 which I think should have more compatibility with things (maybe it doesn't matter, idk). also consider checking out kxstudio&avlinux, their maintainers are regulars here (don't know about dream/64 studio.)
Tom Jerome
Established Member

Post by Tom Jerome »

Thanks for the links. Actually, the DreamStudio 11.04 seems to work the best so far. Jack sees the Alpha, I can choose it under Interface and the In/Out-puts become (default). Or I can change the In/Out-puts to the Alpha and the Interface becomes Default. The Alpha is the only card in my system as I disable the on-board in Bios. Sound Recorder works fine. In Ardour, on the Master buss, when I talk into the mic, I see activity, so it is receiving the signal. I inserted a track which shows up below Master. But when I arm the track, hit the big red button up top then hit spacebar to get the track recording, the activity I see on the master buss does not show up in the track I'm recording on.