Greetings from Sacramento, CA

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sonic5397
Established Member

Greetings from Sacramento, CA

Post by sonic5397 »

All,

Hi there! I started my career as a musician taking Piano lessons from age 5 - 18 and then attended the University of Miami studying Jazz Piano and Music Engineering. Somewhere along the way, I left school and ended up becoming a software developer. I use Linux almost exclusively at home (I've got a triple-boot machine, but rarely find myself in Windows or OSX), and about 50% of the time at work. I've played around over the years with all the usual suspects on the Windows and Mac side of things (starting with CakeWalk and progressing through Cubase, Digital Performer, Nuendo, Logic, Reaper, etc). Lately, (when I've had the time), I've been using Reaper more and more and thought that it was pretty good, and thus there might be good reason to check out some of the other lesser known (at least to me) DAW options aside from the big boys (i.e. Sonar/Cubase/Logic). Also, since I'm in Linux most of the time anyway and am comfortable with a lot of config, building from source, etc., I figured i'd check out what DAW-like options are available.

One of the other reasons that I want to check out new options is that I've always felt that despite the incredible flexibility of the major commercial offerings, the time spent configuring and tweaking every little thing seemed to get in the way of the creative process. That being said, I'm looking for something simple, yet powerful and flexible that provides for good workflow and doesn't hamper creativity. I'm also looking to downsize my rack (ideally to have a simple, yet powerful controller, a couple of rackmount synths only) and do a lot more (synth work at least) in the box and save the outboard gear for tracking guitar and bass.

I'm eager to start looking around and reading and posting as time permits!
Computing: Intel i5-3570K / Triple Boot - Ubuntu 12.10, Win7, OSX
Midi: MOTU MIDI Express 128 / Audio: MOTU 8Pre
Hardware: Roland D-50, Akai AX-60, Alesis QSR, E-mu Audity & Orbit, Digitech GSP-2101, PAIA Stack-in-a-box, Sansamp GT-2,
danboid
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Sacramento, CA

Post by danboid »

Welcome Sonic!

You sound like the ideal person for these forums but I feel the need to break the not-so-good news to you. Although REAPER runs well under wine and there is an alpha Linux port in progress, non of the FLOSS DAWs can match REAPERs feature set yet. As for the time spent tweaking a configuring, there is MORE of that involved with Linux audio than under the other platforms, unless you run KXStudio or AV Linux, maybe.

Hopefully my honesty hasn't put you off as we'd really like to have you around!