Hi all

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Snap
Established Member

Hi all

Post by Snap »

My first post here. Hope to stay for a long while. :mrgreen:

I've been into pro audio for 20 years. Mainly as a live sound engineer but also running a small mobile studio to record bands and/or shows on location. I've been stuck to Mac since the day one all along the PowerMac years, but as you know, the enforced Intel switch slowly moved Apple away from the pro target and keeps going in that direction. So I switched from ProTools and Mac to Samplitude and Windows. Later jumped to Reaper.

Never liked Windows. It drives me crazy, but what else.... Mac OS X is not what it used to be. I'm stuck in Snow Leopard and never got any Macintel gear since my beloved PowerMac G5 went obsolete. I used Dual boot Hackintoshes along with a Win OS (for audio exclusively) eversince. Now my current workstation has died and I think it's the right time for a major change. I don't think I will keep using Mac OS X. I just installed Kubuntu in a borrowed modest PC to keep running until I manage to afford a new machine. I don't expect to get rid of Windows anytime soon, but I want to explore my chances in Linux audio. I currently have a Fireface 800, thankfully supported on Linux! And a RME HDSP is on my wish list. I normally track on an Alesis HD-24XR so an HDSP is a kind of must-have tool. - thankfully the great HD24tools by Marc R.J. Brevoort has a Linux version I still have to try. This borrowed PC doesn't have a firewire ports yet -

These are first steps. I'm a totally noob with ALSA and Jack. I just installed Reaper and worked for a while, but I screwed it up in just two days. Please be patient with me. I have a zillion newbie questions in my bag!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Re: Hi all

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hey, welcome!

Were in the same boat here. I jumped ship when I outgrew my PowerMac 8600 and Apple switched to OSX. Rather than reinvest, I switched directly to Ubuntu Studio and never looked back. I am sure you will be positively surprised to see how much audio work you can do with Linux.

If you are just starting in Linux, you might as well start with an audio production distro, as a lot of things will have been taken care of already. Any KDE or Gnome based distro, like Kubuntu, will put a load on the CPU and memory. Therefore dedicated audio distros usually go with something more lightweight, like the Xfce desktop. I have added the KXStudio repositories to my Ubuntu Studio setup, and it works really great. I also think KXStudio is a distro in its own right. Other people praise AVLinux.

Best

Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Wow, an 8600. That was a while ago! I started with a 7200 and drooled about an 8600 for a while, but ended up with a (by the time) impressive G3 233! Those were nice times.

Yes, I plan to use Ubuntu Studio on my next PC. For now I tried to install it in VirtualBox to get familiar with it, but strangely it took a life time to install and never finished, so I aborted it. I'll start from scratch again and see if it gets right this time. It was a breeze running Snow Loepoard in VirtualBox whatsoever. I wonder why UStudio takes that long... Or what I did wrong.

AVLinux... Gonna have a look around about it. Any opinions about RemixOS? Any good?
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

welcome! you might want to try checking the hash of the iso you downloaded. Once I had a terrible time trying to install ubuntu studio on my computer before realizing the file i downloaded was incomplete/corrupt. You can compare hashes here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
Guernica
Established Member

Post by Guernica »

Greetings fellow noob! If the ISO verifies OK and it still won't install, try dropping down one version from the current distro. My ISO was fine, turned out the current Ubuntu Studio distro simply didn't like my hardware. But Precise Pangolin worked right out of the box.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them.