Distro of Choice

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Distro of Choice

Post by MattKingUSA »

I use Mandriva 2008.1 and will upgrade to 2009 in October. I use it because it is well maintained and was the first distro I ever used. Mandrake 7.2 was what I first used.

What distro do you use and why?

-Matt :D

brummer

Post by brummer »

morning

I use debian/sid (sidux) because it was the first distro I use. Okay, first it was kanotix on sid base.
I like experimentel with the new's and debian/sid is allway's near to blending age.
debian/sid is a rolling release, that meens I can upgrade at any time I wont. So debian/sid is a never ending train rolling into the future.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Debian testing/sid mixed system:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

I started with Ubuntu, I like apt, I like the freedom of Debian >> So I switched from Ubuntu to the real stuff ;)

Tried also other distro's like Centos, Sidux, Scientific Linux, 64studio, UbuntuStudio, Musix etc. but I like to have total control of my system... so Debian is the one for me! :)
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I am kind of hooked on Mandriva because of the codec packs that come with the pay version. It's just such a great deal. It is molsty the non-free stuff that keeps me with them.

becks
Established Member

Post by becks »

i use almost everywhere debian testing or unstable, on server and desktop. only my last notebook run ubuntu, because every year i'm feel older and lazy ;)
raboof
Established Member

Re: Distro of Choice

Post by raboof »

MattKingUSA wrote:I use Mandriva 2008.1 and will upgrade to 2009 in October. I use it because it is well maintained and was the first distro I ever used. Mandrake 7.2 was what I first used.

What distro do you use and why?
As briefly mentioned before, I'm using Ubuntu (configured manually to be more like ubuntu studio). Basicallly because I've been happy with Debian since 1999 or so, and was curious about this new Debian-derivative that was attracting such a lot of attention.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ArchLinux is the distro of choice for me. I've tried Mandriva, Ubuntu Studio, 64Studio, JAD, etc and none did it for me.
I had to stick with the apps the way they configured it. Arch is on the bleeding edge. I like that. They're updated with new apps faster than all except JAD maybe but if the app is available but not updated in the Arch repos, each app has is own PGKBUILD which all that's needed is a version change and build the app. The apps are built to fit your own pc. It's kinda like Gentoo or Linux From Scratch but easier to use.
Gentoo I liked but too many xruns and this mask, unmask, etc drove me up the wall.
Arch is also super fast because you choose what you want from the distro after the base is installed. So you can customize it to your needs, not what someone thinks you need.
So easy to setup for vst support. I've tried running Ardour with vst support on other distros and the configuration I could never understand.Plus the dependency issues on Debian based and RPM based distro drove me nuts.
brummer

Post by brummer »

ArchLinux sound real interessting to me, I think I will give it a try next day's when I get a new PC.
I dont know befor that it also based on a rolling release, that's what make me stick with debian/sid now, but I think it's time to try something new.
Mabee I come along with some questions to you when I try it. :)

brummer
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

debian/sid. Because I use it everywhere else (servers, etc), it was the obvious choice from the start. And it worked after the initial linux-DAW tweaking. I am used to debian, and it does what I want it to do. Why should I change ? :)
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

thorgal wrote:debian/sid. Because I use it everywhere else (servers, etc), it was the obvious choice from the start. And it worked after the initial linux-DAW tweaking. I am used to debian, and it does what I want it to do. Why should I change ? :)
I've heard your recordings, you shouldn't change. They sound great. If it works don't fix it right?

thorgal
Established Member

Re:

Post by thorgal »

MattKingUSA wrote:If it works don't fix it right?
absolutely right :)
brummer

Re: Distro of Choice

Post by brummer »

If it works don't fix it right?
Hmm, I see that a little different. :) In sid you fix many working things every update you make. And that is good, that is the way to the future. And it seems arch linux go the same way, so I will try it, for experimental. It dosn't meen that you need to try it, I will report the diff's I found.