Competition: Create best hydrogen drumkit (finished)

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

laba170
Established Member

Competition: Create best hydrogen drumkit (finished)

Post by laba170 »

(This competition is finished.)

Hello everyone. I hope some of you will find this competition exciting.

Here are the rules:

The competition will last until May, and then we'll have to discuss and point out a winner together. Hopefully, we'll agree about who the winner should be.

The hydrogen drum kit must be made from scratch (not just rearranging samples from other hydrogen drum kits), with either synthesized samples, samples you've recorded yourselves or samples found elsewhere.

The drum kit can be in any style. If you want to create a drum kit using animal sounds, you're free to do so.

The drum kits made for this competition must be freely available for everyone. This way, in addition to having a funny competition, we'll maybe have a few drum kits to add to our collection after this competition is finished.

So, are there anyone interested who will compete? Everyone content with the rules?
Last edited by laba170 on Sun May 02, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Re: Competition: Create best hydrogen drumkit

Post by Chipfryer »

I'd love to take part if I knew how? :cry:
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

Chipfryer wrote:I'd love to take part if I knew how? :cry:
Sorry, it's my first time starting any competition. I should have written something like this in the first post: I thought that everyone contending could upload their drum kit someplace themselves, and paste the download link here in this thread. That way, we all get access to it, and may comment it. If you have updated your drum kit or created another one, just post a new link. As long as it's still April of course...
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Laba no this is not your fault it is mine.
I meant I don't know how to create a drumkit really. I'm still learning but getting there slowly thanks to a few friends.

Please don't worry. My fault.
Keep well.
laba170 wrote:
Chipfryer wrote:I'd love to take part if I knew how? :cry:
Sorry, it's my first time starting any competition. I should have written something like this in the first post: I thought that everyone contending could upload their drum kit someplace themselves, and paste the download link here in this thread. That way, we all get access to it, and may comment it. If you have updated your drum kit or created another one, just post a new link. As long as it's still April of course...
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

Firstly, it's MUCH easier to create new drum kits in the newer versions of hydrogen. (from 0.9.4 and onwards). I suggest you get a newer version if you still are using 0.9.3. And anyway, there's still a lot of time to learn it, even if you haven't done it before. Still a month left. :)
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Chippy!,

Search for "makekit" in the forum. It is a script by Garryo for building hydrogen drumkits. I find it very very useful. If you have doubts on how to use it, don't hesitate to ask

This is the thread:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... ekit#p5227

Cheers! Pablo
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

Cool... I didn't know there was a script. Maybe I'll try it out sometime. But it's also quite easy to create a drum kit inside hydrogen. Let me try to explain:

(This is based on hydrogen 0.9.5. It's also the same for 0.9.4 I think.)

First, you go to the pattern editor, right click each instrument, and choose "delete instrument". This is the only way I know of to remove all the default instruments from the pattern editor. We don't want the default instruments for this competition anyway. It's about creating new ones.

Then you may click "add instrument" in the instruments menu, and a new, empty instrument should appear in the pattern editor. Probably named "New instrument"...

To the right, you should see two tabs: "instrument" and "sound library". If you click the "instrument" tab, and then the "general" tab, you can change attack, decay and gain for example, and change the name of the instrument by right clicking the "New instrument" text.

Then click the "layers" tab, and select one of the horizontal bars. Click "load layer" and choose a sample.

And there you have a basic instrument, ready for tweaking and eventually more samples if you're creating a multi layered kit. For the next instrument, click "add instrument" in the menu again, and repeat.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi folks thank you very much, I had no idea.
Q. If I did find a way to manipulate a sound and create a drum could I import that into the sound library? (Not even sure how to do this yet?). Not that I would want to but it might help syncing other kits on different apps too so that I have just one kit.

Anyway yes I'll have a look at this.
Thanks very much again.
Cheers.
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

So far, I only know of two people who might join this competition. Myself, and Chipfryer. It would be nice if everyone who might join, gave a little notice in this thread. It would at least motivate me alot, if I knew there were more people interested in contending.

I hope we could reach at least 5-6 competitors. After all, creating a simple drumkit shouldn't be to difficult, and you don't have to create a professional quality kit, just to compete.. ;)
benzene
Established Member

Post by benzene »

I'm down. I joined a band a few months ago and my drummer has agreed to let me sample his kit. :twisted:
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

benzene wrote:I'm down. I joined a band a few months ago and my drummer has agreed to let me sample his kit. :twisted:
Great! I had hoped someone would sample a real drum kit! Synthesized drums have their uses, but for some music, "real" drums is a must.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

benzene wrote:I'm down. I joined a band a few months ago and my drummer has agreed to let me sample his kit. :twisted:
Great for sampling a real kit... are you multi-layering it? That's the best way to get the real kit sound. If yeah, will you make the samples available?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Ok I'll load up some stuff and see what I can do too.
You might want to give it a little longer though yeah?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

why don't you guys run this on hydrogen's forum also??
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Seems very quiet over there but yeah I think this is a good idea since that it where it came from.
funkmuscle wrote:why don't you guys run this on hydrogen's forum also??