Musikmesse Frankfurt - Who is going?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Jan
Established Member

Musikmesse Frankfurt - Who is going?

Post by Jan »

I may be the only one here who lives close to Frankfurt, but nonetheless I want to know if anyone of you is going to the Musikmesse Frankfurt this year? It should be interesting as usual.

I am really looking forward to go on Thursday, if anyone of you is there also it would be cool to meet.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
spm_gl
Established Member

Re: Musikmesse Frankfurt - Who is going?

Post by spm_gl »

Our guitar preamp might go, not sure yet. The power amp didn't make it, because our supplier can't deliver an important part. I don't have time to go, sadly.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

spm_gl wrote:Our guitar preamp might go, not sure yet. The power amp didn't make it, because our supplier can't deliver an important part. I don't have time to go, sadly.
Where can I see, or better hear, the preamp? That sounds very interesting. Do you have a distributor yet? Maybe I can make some contacts for you, there may be people who are interested.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

A friend builds speakers, and he's presenting them there (small thingys with leather cover, if I recall correctly). He wanted our small poweramp to go with them, but we couldn't get an output transformer for 16ohm in time. Now I'm not sure whether he's taking the preamp along. It's still a prototype, a tube recording preamp for guitar. We use it all the time though. If it goes to Frankfurt, I'll let you know where to find it ;-)
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

spm_gl wrote:A friend builds speakers, and he's presenting them there (small thingys with leather cover, if I recall correctly). He wanted our small poweramp to go with them, but we couldn't get an output transformer for 16ohm in time. Now I'm not sure whether he's taking the preamp along. It's still a prototype, a tube recording preamp for guitar. We use it all the time though. If it goes to Frankfurt, I'll let you know where to find it ;-)
Yes, please do that! I'd love to hear what you build.
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

Jan wrote:I may be the only one here who lives close to Frankfurt, but nonetheless I want to know if anyone of you is going to the Musikmesse Frankfurt this year? It should be interesting as usual.

I am really looking forward to go on Thursday, if anyone of you is there also it would be cool to meet.
Right in time to have missed the Musikmesse I just wanted to say that I would have liked to go there as I live somewhat close to Frankfurt too (80km north). I just didn't have the time. But nevermind, I'm only just starting with music again after years of inactivity.
Were you there, Jan? Anybody else?

Patrick
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

PatS wrote:
Jan wrote:I may be the only one here who lives close to Frankfurt, but nonetheless I want to know if anyone of you is going to the Musikmesse Frankfurt this year? It should be interesting as usual.

Right in time to have missed the Musikmesse I just wanted to say that I would have liked to go there as I live somewhat close to Frankfurt too (80km north). I just didn't have the time. But nevermind, I'm only just starting with music again after years of inactivity.
Were you there, Jan? Anybody else?

Patrick
Yes, I was there. I don't know what instrument you play, but there was not that much for guitarists, if one looked for something really new or exciting. The Torpedo VB-101 was very, very cool (pricey, but worth checking out - http://www.two-notes.com/en/Produits-Tw ... VB101.html) and I chatted with a guitar builder from Italy who builds what is slowly becoming a favourite guitar for me (but out of my range right now - http://www.manne.com) and I probably get one or two Ravens for testing. There is a trend for low powered amps (5-15 Watts) and reasonably good guitars are getting cheaper by the day, it seems. The replica of Thomas Blugs' Strat is worth checking out - definitely very affordable, an astonishing sense for detail in this price range and it has a very good Strat tone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNHtw0lD5o).

I also looked for some recording gear and had good chat with a guy from SM Pro Audio who was delighted to hear that I use Linux for recording. I also had the chance to play the new Korg MicroStation, which is a very cool product, very tempting.
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

Jan wrote: Yes, I was there. I don't know what instrument you play, but there was not that much for guitarists, if one looked for something really new or exciting...
Thanks a lot for the details. I play piano and keyboards but I really like guitars and admire their players. I tried it myself some years ago but didn't get far (partly, because I'm left-handed and I only had a "normal" accoustic guitar available).
Thanks for mentioning the Korg Microstation, it's always nice to know about the latest stuff. Though I won't be buying any new equipment at the moment. I got myself an ancient (early 90's) Doepfer LMK3 masterkeyboard about a year ago (great bargain) and it was just what I was looking for. With an attitude like that I might have felt out of place at the Musikmesse anyway :)
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

PatS wrote:With an attitude like that I might have felt out of place at the Musikmesse anyway :)
Not at all. A friend of mine bought a very cheap guitar on eBay, replaced the pickups and a little bit of other hardware and got himself a very nice sounding guitar. Not that good compared to his PRS, but at one tenth of the price it was very good. It's always good to get some inspirations. I also don't jump on the newest equipment, but it's certainly interesting to experience it.

They also had a nice little exhibition where they showed Claptons Blacky and Stevie Ray Vaughans Strat and some nice old instruments from the Beatles' Star Club days.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I'm not going because its too far and too expensive though I would have liked to mingle with folks there. I'm still learning in any case so much of it will be gobbledyGook to me in any case.
Have a good time if you do go and take some pics yeah?
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

Chipfryer wrote:I'm not going because its too far and too expensive though I would have liked to mingle with folks there. I'm still learning in any case so much of it will be gobbledyGook to me in any case.
Have a good time if you do go and take some pics yeah?
It would have been nice to meet you. I sadly didn't have a camera. Ours is broken, my mothers camera was with her at work in Hamburg and a SLR from a friend was too heavy carrying around. But some very nice girls took a photo of me for a competition to win a Segway thingy. I can only show you a photo of the guitar I fell in love with: http://www.manne.com/pict/ragutopig.jpg

Looks very much like my maple strat, but has some very, very, very nice features and a tone that is to die for.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Like wise Jan.
Nice gitbox that. Gee. Did you buy it? I had a lovely guitar some years ago, sadly the singer wanted a bass so I traded it, then he traded that bass for cash. Found out much later of course.

We'll meet I'm sure we will.
Keep well Jan.

Jan wrote:
Chipfryer wrote:It would have been nice to meet you. I sadly didn't have a camera. Ours is broken, my mothers camera was with her at work in Hamburg and a SLR from a friend was too heavy carrying around. But some very nice girls took a photo of me for a competition to win a Segway thingy. I can only show you a photo of the guitar I fell in love with: http://www.manne.com/pict/ragutopig.jpg

Looks very much like my maple strat, but has some very, very, very nice features and a tone that is to die for.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

Chipfryer wrote:Like wise Jan.
Nice gitbox that. Gee. Did you buy it? I had a lovely guitar some years ago, sadly the singer wanted a bass so I traded it, then he traded that bass for cash. Found out much later of course.

We'll meet I'm sure we will.
Keep well Jan.
No, I didn't buy it. I would have loved to and the distributor offered it to me for a very good price, but my bank account says no, god knows why. ;-) But I arranged to get two of these for a test for magazine, so I will have the pleasure of having them for a couple of weeks. But the saddest thing with having such wonderful guitars for testing is sending them back.