The Halo Blue - Album

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

The Halo Blue - Album

Post by MattKingUSA »

Hey guys, this is a plug for my band The Halo Blue. I figure it is appropriate in the off topic area. I just wanted to let everyone know that we are pre-selling our first album starting today until the end of the month. Our music can be heard @ http://www.myspace.com/thehaloblue or @ http://www.autumnstreetrecords.com/thehaloblue

The way that it works is that you receive the MP3 album the day that the album drops via e-mail and then you receive the CD by mail later. For more info you can contact mike@autumnstreetrecords.com - Mike is the manager for the band.

Just a side note, 2 of the tracks featured on the album were recorded under Windows and mixed under Linux. The other tracks were all recorded in Ardour and mixed on Linux as well.

-Matt :D

studio32

Re: The Halo Blue - Album

Post by studio32 »

Congratulations and success! Good to see that a lot is done on the Linux platform ;)
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Thanks studio! I have found that I prefer Ardour before ProTools. It's great to be able to create music content using completely open-source software.

studio32

Post by studio32 »

MattKingUSA wrote: I have found that I prefer Ardour before ProTools.
why?
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

For one I appreciate the control that it allows over audio input/output, the massive amount of audio plugins. The way that copy/paste works over tracks. The interface looks more professional in my opinion as well. ProTools looks a bit cheap. And, I hate sitting through the entire playback to bound to disk in ProTools. Not sure if that can be turned off, but I like that it's not on by default in Ardour. But I would say overall, the interface is more to my liking.

EDIT: Maybe I can just make a list of things as I go? hahaha, these are kind of off the top of my head answers.

spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

I find that once you take ProTools out of a flashy studio environment, with a Control24 and all, it starts to get really ugly. And the moment you hit the track limit, you curse your lungs out. Not to mention trying to do a video sync and discovering you need to spend more $$$ for some stupid digidesign extra.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

spm_gl wrote:I find that once you take ProTools out of a flashy studio environment, with a Control24 and all, it starts to get really ugly. And the moment you hit the track limit, you curse your lungs out. Not to mention trying to do a video sync and discovering you need to spend more $$$ for some stupid digidesign extra.
What do you mean by track limit? Is it limited because of the hardware resources or does it have an artificial limit, let's say, "Version XYZ only allows 12 tracks"?

If the latter, then I would say that ProTools is not for me. It seems that my setup with Ardour (tried it with the track outputs of Hydrogen) doesn't have a problem recording 24 tracks at once and if I need more, I am sure it can manage that also.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

Matt, I just listened to the songs that you put on Youtube, and I really like "The Donce". It has a very cool New Wave feeling and sound to it. I don't know if you know the BBC series "Ashes to Ashes", I think this would fit perfectly well as a soundtrack for it. Do you have more songs in that direction?
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

Jan wrote:What do you mean by track limit? Is it limited because of the hardware resources or does it have an artificial limit, let's say, "Version XYZ only allows 12 tracks"?
The number of "voices" (i.e. discrete channels) is limited by hardware in PT HD, PT LE has an artificial track limit, 56 I think. Oh, and the choice of interfaces is very limited. The only really great thing about ProTools HD is the guaranteed low latency of a few samples. But a well-tuned Linux system can get below 3ms, which is good enough for any tracking needs. This discussion should be in a different thread though, and can become very political.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

spm_gl wrote: The number of "voices" (i.e. discrete channels) is limited by hardware in PT HD, PT LE has an artificial track limit, 56 I think. Oh, and the choice of interfaces is very limited. The only really great thing about ProTools HD is the guaranteed low latency of a few samples. But a well-tuned Linux system can get below 3ms, which is good enough for any tracking needs. This discussion should be in a different thread though, and can become very political.
I think I am below 3 ms, and that is only a standard install of 64 studio. I found that the 64bit version seems to be performing better than the 32bit version.

I think a ProTools thread would be interesting, though I think we are all a little bit biased here. ;-)
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I really liked 'City Lights'.

Nice one :D
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Hey thank you guys for the feedback on our album! Jan, we do have more 80s euro sounding music on the album. And City of Lights will be on the album as it is now! :) But, yeah, we re-recorded "The Donce" and are thinking of marketing a few of our songs to the advertisement industry. :D

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Here are two of my bands songs from our album "You're Cordially Invited".

They were both produced 100% on Linux Open Source using Ardour, LADSPA and Audacity. The artwork was done using GIMP the mpeg for youtube was made using Kdenlive on Mandriva Desktop Linux.

When I Found You ft Amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GscsT6ZeOXc

They Found You Face Down In The Leaves That Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMr3KcqpLw