Who's educated?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: Who's educated?

Post by khz »

All users are welcome here!

Whether you are a developer, professional user (studio), hobby musician or just interested in GNU/Linux & Audio: Everyone is welcome and shares their individual expertise.

Level of education, origin, income,... doesn't matter.

More important is: Friendly, honest users who can share their knowledge/information/...and if necessary, ideally, prove it.
With the necessary respect for all other users.
Discussion. Reason. Logic. Share (do not rule).
And especially those users who have a hard time should be given special help.
Patience.
For me everything was new territory in the beginning regarding GNU/Linux & Audio.
Technology can become enormously complex. Acoustics even more. GNU/Linux is also complex.
It's not about "who has more knowledge /..." but about helping each other.
With each other.
Ideally so that other users can understand it easily.

Philosophy: What's educated? Is one from the university more educated than a native?
If an educated person proves that there is no climate change, do you believe him?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I have nothing against you in any way @42low! I respect you!
I just wanted to make it generally clear that everyone is welcome here.
I know from my own experience that there is a great danger of misinterpreting things.
Maybe I just misinterpreted. SRY!
:peace: :freedom:
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

My bad English (language) plays a main reason for misinterpretations in reading and writing. https://www.deepl.com/translate --help
Then of course also my own half-knowledge in technical/musical/... areas.
Musician/... are partly a very special blow of people. So those musicians I met in real life. ;-)

I don't think I'm alone in this. Many different people with different origins, culture, education,... .
I always have this in mind and try A) to formulate my sentences clearly/shortly and B) to see it loosely.
The Internet - Linuxmusicians - is a great platform where the citizens of the world can meet and exchange ideas for the first time.
But all this is historically new territory.
Therefore, we all need to learn a lot.

(
DebianEdu/Skolelinux is an operating system intended for educational use and a Debian Pure Blend . As skole [skuːlə] is the Norwegian word for school, Skolelinux's literal translation is "school linux". It has been created as an overall free software computer solution designed to fit to schools' resources and needs, and is currently being developed by a large and growing international community.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ == https://www.skolelinux.de/en/ :like:)

Back to the topic.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I think that's a romantic view of the past. Yes, mutual benefit has always been used but it wasn't for the sake of the other party, it is essentially a fairly selfish act. Same as how Christians try to save souls, they are not doing it because they care anything for your soul. Cavemen working together to kill a mammoth also hunted other tribes and had wars with them over who could have control of/the most resources and I seriously doubt that one family feasting on an animal would have willingly given their meat to a passer by.

There have been many philosophers who have argued that altruism doesn't really exist and every altruistic action is an extension of selfishness. These days are no different than 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 years ago.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

sysrqer wrote:I think that's a romantic view of the past. Yes, mutual benefit has always been used but it wasn't for the sake of the other party, it is essentially a fairly selfish act. Same as how Christians try to save souls, they are not doing it because they care anything for your soul. Cavemen working together to kill a mammoth also hunted other tribes and had wars with them over who could have control of/the most resources and I seriously doubt that one family feasting on an animal would have willingly given their meat to a passer by.

There have been many philosophers who have argued that altruism doesn't really exist and every altruistic action is an extension of selfishness. These days are no different than 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 years ago.
However, this entire argument collapses in the face of countless occasions where ordinary people have gone to the aid of total strangers, putting themselves at great risk.

Back on topic, I'm partially educated, and am still filling in the gaps :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I will share on this 'cause these are info already public on my blog, which you always seen in my signature below.

Started studying music and using Linux at 11.

I got my degree in Physics with a dissertation on the physics of the electric guitar, which you can read here (if you know Italian).

I got a master in Audio Acoustics with a dissertation on nonlinear audio systems measurement and modelling, which you can read here.

I today work as an acoustic engineer. I design noise cancelling headphones.

As everyone else, still filling the gaps constantly, thanks to online courses, hobbies and clever people around me and in these forums.

And I am moving my first steps in audio programming. And I am not even remotely as good as falkTX at that.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I only have a PhD in (physical) chemistry :(
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

lilith wrote:I only have a PhD in (physical) chemistry :(
That's quite cool!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Looking for a job at the moment .. sometimes it's cool, sometimes not :mrgreen:
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I have enjoyed and live in the education of the proletariat. And the "Frankfurt School".
But, just like music/computer/..., rather than interest. That's how I kept my joy.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I wasn't suggesting that everyone should act selfishly, simply that looking back at the 'good old days' and thinking that everyone was kinder or less selfish is a common thing for adults to do and is not really true at all, life has always been hard to live and hard to deal with, and people have always been selfish and hurt one another, it is human nature and has always been that way. I would actually argue that people are becoming less selfish, the increasing global trend and highest numbers in recorded history of vegetarian and veganism could be said to be a sign of increasing compassion and empathetic awareness.

As for being romantic, I said that the remarks you posted are, not that you are as a person, I'm judging you on your words, just like you said people should. Most people above 30 or so, including me, look back on their youth and see it as a better time than now in various ways - music was better, things were cheaper, etc. Taking it back to the stoneage seems plainly false to me as it was a savage time and only the start of societies - who is to say that they didn't often work together to achieve the end and then kill the other person so they could benefit fully themselves? We see this in politics and business, and even friendships.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

42low wrote: Can you tell what frequency rates record compagnies and famous settled studio's, editing and mastering engeneers work with in common?
Do you mind me giving a sincere advice? When you create a topic, or contribute to a topic, make sure you keep it on topic. On a thread about sharing our past education, I don't quite see how that question is relevant... (I mean, I see it given the recent topics we taken part into... but topics are intended to have, indeed, one topic).

So, off topic:

Short answer: No. Please, if you know more, share with us! (although perhaps a different topic should be crated for that).

Slightly longer answer: my gut feeling is that, perhaps, most studios record analog, digitalize at 96kHz and master at that sample rate. Probably because in that way they can downsample the final mix to the most common rates for the end product.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

khz wrote:I have enjoyed and live in the education of the proletariat. And the "Frankfurt School".
Oh you were born on in the DDR?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

;-) Giggle. No in Hesse (!= Hermann Hesse) near Frankfurt (School). ;-)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

All your talk of not putting words in your mouth and twisting them...and then you post that. You should try to live by your own standards before you expect anyone else to.