Ableton Live 10 + Launchpads Pro + Launchpad Mini MK2.

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Ableton Live 10 + Launchpads Pro + Launchpad Mini MK2.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I have noticed that there are a number of LM posters that have tried running Ableton using WINE and that have a Launchpad. Interestingly, I have to say that in my opinion, despite the many YouTube tutorials and Novation info, the quality of documentation isn't up to snuff for a first time user of Ableton + Launchpad, so I am hoping that someone can help me with some issues that I have run into.

I have received a copy of Ableton Live 10 and having been trying to get my head around working with it. At the same time, I have purchased a Launchpad Pro and Launchpad Mini MK2 (I know, I have a bit of GAS at this time).

Problem #1 (Ableton):
When I open the "live set" that I have been working on, the only thing that seems to work is to arm-record a track. I would like to play back individual clips and a whole scene to get some inspiration for adding a new track, however nothing seems to work. Ableton will play individual clips, but there is no sound coming out and Ableton refuses to play a scene. When I create a new live set, everything works fine, including saving the set, but when I reopen it, I experience the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

Problem #2 (Launchpad Mini MK2):
I am having difficulty figuring out how to use my Launchpad Mini MK". There is a lot of info on the Launchpad Pro and I have been able to develop a draft workflow, but information on the Launchpad Mini, not so much.

This is what I have found out:

Novation Launchpad Mini MK2 Buttons

Top (left to right):
  1. Up
  2. Down
  3. Left
  4. Right
  5. Session
  6. User 1
  7. User 2
  8. Mixer
Right side (top to bottom):
  1. Volume
  2. Pan
  3. Send A
  4. Send B
  5. Stop
  6. Mute
  7. Solo
  8. Record Arm
I have figured out that if I press button #5 (session mode), I can press a button in the (for example) track #1 column to record. It appears that User #1 is sort of the same as Note mode on a Launchpad Pro, but nothing lights up. I was expecting something like the pads on the Pro covering four octaves and being able to change them from C Major scale, to a C minor scale etc. Alternatively manually setting the pads to function in a similar way. I have looked at J7 4 ISO Controllers (Win 7 version), but I haven't had much time or patience as I am trying to get these other things sorted out.
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Ableton Live 10 + Launchpads Pro + Launchpad Mini MK2.

Post by sysrqer »

I use ableton and a launchpad mk2 on my windows boot so I wish I could give you some advice but I quickly learned that the default script was not enough for what I needed so I purchased Arsenal from NativeKontrol. I haven't had any of the problems you describe, it always works.

It's hard to say how much of your issues are down to wine. The mk2 with ableton is quite well documented from what I can tell - https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/s ... uide_0.pdf (I'm a little confused about you referring to the mini mk2, I thought there was the mini and there was the mkII).

One thing to check is that the firmware is up to date on the launchpad.

I have no idea if it works in wine but it might be worth checking out Arsenal, it's much more powerful and seems like it would be suited to what you want to do regarding scales (don't know if mk2 can do that by default).
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify, I am using Ableton Live 10 on Win 7. As I have only dealt with either hardware or software specific questions directly related to Linux on this forum, I wasn't sure if anyone used Win specific software to make music, so mentioning wine was a way for me to ease into a question that is largely Win specific. I do have to mention here that the Launcpad Pro is way cool on Renoise with the velocity sensitive pads :) And yes, I ended up purchasing Renoise, though I haven't used it much yet, as my bass guitar teacher is really into Ableton, but not very informative about its use. Also, I think Renoise freaks him out a bit.

Arsenal looks very interesting, but at this time, I am trying to sort out default behavior and diagnose issues. No, I actually have a Launchpad Mini MK2 as well. Yes, there is a MK2 version, but the differences between MK1 and MK2 Minis are a bit unclear. I assume that the differences are the same as between the standard Launchpad MK1 and MK2. Interestingly, no change in color as with the Novation Launchkey products.
----
BTW, my main goal at this time is to start creating backing tracks for my saxophone and bass playing, but who knows where I will take it once I get some experience...
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

OK, so here is what Ableton Live 10 looks like when I have loaded a saved "live set" with my Launchpad Pro (the same problem exists with the Launchpad Mini):
2018-07-11 08_43_02-song_1- Ableton Live 10 Suite.png
2018-07-11 08_43_02-song_1- Ableton Live 10 Suite.png (57.31 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
2018-07-11 08_41_51-song_1  [song_1] - Ableton Live 10 Suite.png
2018-07-11 08_41_51-song_1 [song_1] - Ableton Live 10 Suite.png (108.02 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Again, this is in reference to my problem #1:
When I open the "live set" that I have been working on, the only thing that seems to work is to arm-record a track. I would like to play back individual clips and a whole scene to get some inspiration for adding a new track, however nothing seems to work. Ableton will play individual clips, but there is no sound coming out and Ableton refuses to play a scene. When I create a new live set, everything works fine, including saving the set, but when I reopen it, I experience the same problem.
I am almost positive that this must be a beginner issue, but I haven't found anything posted on this.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You have nothing in the session view, if you try to play that there is nothing to play.

The clips you are able to play are in arrange view. Drag them to the icons on the top right and you will be able to place them in the session view. Then you will be able to trigger them as you are expecting.

You see the red button on the top right side of your arrange page? That means that you have stuff on the arrange timeline but you are playing from session view and the arrange clips are being overwritten in terms of playback (they still remain there but are effectively inactive). If you want to play them again press that red button and the arrange clips will be active again.

If you are not familiar with this I would recommend reading the relevant parts of the ableton live manual because this is a very important and fundamental aspect of the program.
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

sysrqer wrote:You have nothing in the session view, if you try to play that there is nothing to play.

The clips you are able to play are in arrange view. Drag them to the icons on the top right and you will be able to place them in the session view. Then you will be able to trigger them as you are expecting.

You see the red button on the top right side of your arrange page? That means that you have stuff on the arrange timeline but you are playing from session view and the arrange clips are being overwritten in terms of playback (they still remain there but are effectively inactive). If you want to play them again press that red button and the arrange clips will be active again.

If you are not familiar with this I would recommend reading the relevant parts of the ableton live manual because this is a very important and fundamental aspect of the program.
OK, thanks.