Some disturbing news

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

lucianodato
Established Member

Re: Some disturbing news

Post by lucianodato »

Well I guess I'll make the gitlab jump. Can't trust Microsoft, even with their current good behavior. :?
Arguy (IRC)
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

42low wrote: So many battles in the past, but it's still mostly the same. Even if ms would buy linux then someone else will develope Xunil OS or whatever.
Alternatives for github are already there.
Yeah, but it is very convenient from a user perspective to have all the interesting stuff in one place with a news feed (I guess developers didn't complain either). GitHub was becoming some kind of *standard* (curse word I know).

There's no doubt that the open source community knows how to deal with fragmentation, just this feels like going back 15y in the past...
I really hope something positive comes out of this so that we don't get burnt again...
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Account promptly deleted. :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

briandc wrote:Account promptly deleted. :)

brian
That's quite a trend, seems like. Apparently GitLab got a 10X boost of repo/account creations. It would be pretty ironic if the Microsoft purchase would result in GitHub loosing a ton of users. I have read somewhere that 68% of GitHub users are very likely to migrate somewhere else.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

lucianodato wrote:Well I guess I'll make the gitlab jump. Can't trust Microsoft, even with their current good behavior. :?
-current-. That's the word.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've moved all my projects from github to gitlab now.
Now I need to rework all internal links to point to the sources in gitlab instead github.
After that I'll remove them from github.
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

tramp wrote:I've moved all my projects from github to gitlab now.
Now I need to rework all internal links to point to the sources in gitlab instead github.
After that I'll remove them from github.
Ok, please give a shout when you're done, as I'll have to update the AUR pkgbuilds accordingly.
Actually, it could maybe be useful for the community to list all the projects migrating in a dedicated thread, no?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

CrocoDuck wrote:It would be pretty ironic if the Microsoft purchase would result in GitHub loosing a ton of users. I have read somewhere that 68% of GitHub users are very likely to migrate somewhere else.
That isn't ironic. GitHub is naturally teeming with open source buffs who want nothing to do with Microsoft whatsoever. 68% sounds like a rather conservative estimate.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Luc wrote:
CrocoDuck wrote:It would be pretty ironic if the Microsoft purchase would result in GitHub loosing a ton of users. I have read somewhere that 68% of GitHub users are very likely to migrate somewhere else.
That isn't ironic. GitHub is naturally teeming with open source buffs who want nothing to do with Microsoft whatsoever. 68% sounds like a rather conservative estimate.
I mean, ironic in regards to the bell and whistles of (corporate-marketing) optimism posted by the GitHub board.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

CrocoDuck wrote:
Luc wrote:
I mean, ironic in regards to the bell and whistles of (corporate-marketing) optimism posted by the GitHub board.
Hmmm. Looks rather like a noose tied round the avatar's neck :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

If I had just pocketted 7.5 B, I can assure you I would be smiling too ;-)
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

An overview of the alternatives, including a side by side comparison with GH:
https://tutswiki.com/github-alternatives/
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Some good points here, I think:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/mi ... -reaction/

Just few things from the top of my slightly drunk head:
How there are still small pockets of deep mistrust of Microsoft in the open source community. I will own responsibility for some of that as I spent a good part of my career at the Linux Foundation poking fun at Microsoft (which, at times, prior management made way too easy). But times have changed and it’s time to recognize that we have all grown up – the industry, the open source community, even me.
Well, times at Microsoft will change as the board of directors strategy changes. OSS has become something very important in the industry today. Think about how none of the respected Machine Learning toolboxes are closed sourced. So, for now it makes sense for MS to be all supportive of Open Source. For now.
How folks seem to conflate “buying GitHub” the company and development platform with somehow buying “open source”: Two of the fastest growing projects in The Linux Foundation family, Kubernetes and Node.js, are developed on GitHub. However (and I triple checked this with our lawyers), Microsoft does not own Kubernetes or Node.js as a result of this transaction. Project copyright owners retain their ownership of their code.
100% true, but if at some arbitrary point in future MS wants to litigate something in court then it will either win or drive the legit owners bankrupt, even if losing, as it has infinite money to sustain any legal expenses for any prolonged period of time, even when it is blatant that they are in the wrong. Now: I cannot imagine this to happen on a large scale (not even MS has so infinite resources to do this on every project on GitHub) neither I am so naive to imagine other companies, even much smaller (like, well, GitHub itself), not to be able to do the same (this is how patents are used). But... (and here we go into the final point)

Final point:

After all these decades of MS actively trying to get rid of OSS, or limit it, or in any way attempting to crate a monopoly, it takes more than just a few "last years of good behaviour" to earn trust. Maybe the way they handle GitHub will be a good test.

Let's just see what happens: I will look at how MS does with GitHub with the sceptic mind of a scientist that has seen tons of contrary evidence, but, being a good scientist, still has an open mind about it.

I don't actually have any project on GitHub. So, as long as things keep on being normal, I will just keep on using it the way I do.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I will only trust MS if they release all of their released products in the last 30 years as GPL.