To improve linux audio software

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

To improve linux audio software

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

Just a tip and a request.

I've made it a 'normal' attitude of me, to report bugs and requests to the developers of the particular linux audio app as soon I've a crash or think a feature should be added..

So I;ve mailed to the devs of ReZound, Lash, Rosegarden, ARdour, AMS, audacity, NtED..

No only for request though, but also to give some feedback and say thanks for making the app.

I would like to ask you if you also want to take a proactive attitude to improve linux audio!!

Thanks,
metasymbol
Established Member

Post by metasymbol »

Thats really true BUT:

It is not so easy for a "simple" user to understand how all this different bugtrackers work and what to fill in the form. Or to make a difference between bug or missing skills. It is not so helpful for devels, if a noob post things like "can't get XY to work when I click on the button".

A bug report must have a reproducible description of the bug.

For example: Application XY crashes when I click on button XY

So open a xterm: start the app with
metasymbol@michamobil:~> XY
XY started
fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
segmentation fault
Check the bugtracker, maybe someone else already has reported this bug. If not, post this to the bugtracker.
If there is no bugtracker, wrtite an email to the devel, but NEVER write an email with a bugreport if there is a bugtracker.
www.jacklab.org - linux for musicians
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

it is obvious that as an advanced user of a few open-source linux apps, I give feedback to the developers. I even submit code patches here and there but it tends to be rare because I had my share of coding for a lifetime ... :lol:
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

metasymbol wrote:Thats really true BUT:

It is not so easy for a "simple" user to understand how all this different bugtrackers work and what to fill in the form. Or to make a difference between bug or missing skills.
Very true. Perhaps we could try and triage problems on this forum, and if something seems to indeed be a bug, help the user submit a bug report (or even do it for him).
studio32

Post by studio32 »

raboof wrote:
metasymbol wrote:Thats really true BUT:

It is not so easy for a "simple" user to understand how all this different bugtrackers work and what to fill in the form. Or to make a difference between bug or missing skills.
Very true. Perhaps we could try and triage problems on this forum, and if something seems to indeed be a bug, help the user submit a bug report (or even do it for him).
Yes good plan. And if a feature is missing, we could form a 'lobby club'...