A Different Perspective

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

A Different Perspective

Post by folderol »

Sometimes it takes just a very small change for you to see something familiar in a totally new way. In my case, the 'familiar' is one of my favourite patches of woodland (Denge Wood) that I've been walking regularly for over 15 years.

I've settled into a sort of routine when I go there of going more or less in a circle but varying the exact paths I take. There is just one section of bridleway that I always walk because it is the only practical one if I'm to avoid going over my own tracks. I also tend to regard it as rather boring. It is on the Eastern side of a wide valley, dead straight and near the top, but lined quite thickly with trees so you don't really get to see the valley.

Typically the walk takes me 2-3 hours, and I start with the above mentioned section. Again I usually start at around 9:30 in the morning so that at the end of my walk I'm ready for a short drive to lunch at a nearby pub.

One Sunday in June I had been visiting friends, and decided that rather than use the motorways I'd go home via the back roads. This meant I would go right past Denge Wood. Also, after several days of miserable dull weather it was brilliant sunshine that day. On a whim I decided to have a walk. It was about 6:30 in the evening, so with clear skies I knew I'd have plenty of time.

There really must have been something strange in the air, because for some reason I also decided to walk round the opposite way to normal. Although approaching places from the 'wrong' direction, I know the woods well and there were no surprises. As I walked the sun got lower, and a refreshing breeze picked up. The birds and animals began to settle and there was that pleasant evening quietness.

The sun was now well down streaming across the valley almost horizontal as I rounded a bend to the 'boring' bridleway and... I stopped totally stunned by a sight I have never seen before. A bridle way laced with pure gold! But not just any gold. It was liquid gold, continually shifting as the trees swayed slightly in the breeze creating softly changing threads and patches of sunlight. Walking along there was like entering a magical kingdom.

I don't know if similar circumstances will ever arise again, but in any case. That little patch is forever changed in my mind.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
ufug
Established Member

Re: A Different Perspective

Post by ufug »

Thank you for sharing this magical place with us again. So lovely. Just reading about it is transportive.
listenable at c6a7.org
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: A Different Perspective

Post by Michael Willis »

I smile to read experiences like this. The other day I stepped outside for a moment and saw a big swoosh of clouds lit up by the sunset, it struck my fancy the same way as when I was seven years old. You never really know when one of these experiences will happen, but certainly taking time away from the artificial things in life makes it more probable!