Win the NEW Mixbus v4

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

x42
Established Member

guitarix + Mixbus4 -- was Re: Win the NEW Mixbus v4

Post by x42 »

Giveaway Ended.. Has anyone been lucky here?
I'd say the XT-Plugins are worth it more than Mixbus itself. In particular the character bundle is awesome.

----

Is there a way to move this discussion to a dedicated sub-thread?
tramp wrote:Hi x42

But, beside that, there are truly some issues , which leads to:
suil error: Unable to open UI library /usr/lib/lv2/gx_amp.lv2/gx_amp_gui.so (/usr/lib/lv2/gx_amp.lv2/gx_amp_gui.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib7ustringaSEONSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE)
Pipe it through `c++filt`: Glib::ustring::operator=(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&&)
The "&&" is another recent API change in the some libs in wake of the gcc5 transition (sigc++ is also affected).

long story short: The plugins are not self contained and depend on external libraries which may or may not be API/ABI compatible. The solution is to make the plugins self-contained. KXStudio for example compiles plugins to be linked statically whenever possible (that way they work on any system, AVLinux also uses them).
tramp wrote:
(mixbus-4.0.151:8495): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:77: error: unexpected identifier 'reliefstyle', expected character '}'
http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=5605#c18109 -- the odd part is that Ardour/Mixbus is configured to ignore system-wide gtkrc files, but it won't ignore environment vars. So it depends on your system config.
tramp wrote: That is, really, really bad. I need to remove the gtk-engine package in order to get mixbus started.
Just unsetting the GTK2_RC_FILES env variable should suffice, or fix /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc or use a distro that's not affected.
tramp wrote: For example guitarix, needs the orginal clearlooks engine.
..and if they're not self-contained, yet other plugins may need yet another version. Mid/Long term Ardour/Mixbus will move away from GTK which may solve this particular issue, but that does not solve the general problem e.g. the Glibmm one mentioned above.
tramp
Established Member

Re: Win the NEW Mixbus v4

Post by tramp »

Hi

Thanks for your response, :)
x42 wrote:The solution is to make the plugins self-contained. KXStudio for example compiles plugins to be linked statically whenever possible (that way they work on any system, AVLinux also uses them).
That is, exactly the reason for this issue:
ufug wrote: Mixbus sessions wont re-open for me if I use the main LV2 amplifier plugin.
So, it wont work as you suggest. Those builds use fftw3 instead the ffmpeg layer, which I suggested since some years, and which would avoid this issue. And for sure they didn't link GTKmm static. :lol:
x42 wrote:http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=5605#c18109 -- the odd part is that Ardour/Mixbus is configured to ignore system-wide gtkrc files, but it won't ignore environment vars. So it depends on your system config.
As you see on the long time report, which still is true today, a much simpler and efficient method could be used long ago, simply rename the modified clearlooks-engine, as any gtk-developer would have done, and have done several times, and don't interference with my system settings.
x42 wrote:
tramp wrote: For example guitarix, needs the orginal clearlooks engine.
..and if they're not self-contained, yet other plugins may need yet another version.
I speak about guitarix main here, not the LV2 plugins, and, it didn't relay on a special version or such.
However, I've just added support for the aurora and the nodka engine, which will be used now, if clearlooks wasn't found. So for me, and guitarix users this wont be a issue any more.
tramp wrote:Which gtk/gtkmm version is used to build mixbus v4?
Maybe I'll push a compatible binary to sourceforge.
so, to found a solution in short terms, as I wont skip gtk/mm, would you tell me which glibmm/gtkmm version was used to build mixbus v4, do you use ubuntu 16.04?
I'll then upload a compatible binary to SourceForge.

regards
hermann

EDIT, forgot to mention, the prize will be awarded on April 16, 2017 4:00 pm

EDIT2, here is one of the Gxplugs with gtk UI in Mixbus v4:
On the road again.
x42
Established Member

Post by x42 »

tramp wrote:Hi

However, I've just added support for the aurora and the nodka engine, which will be used now, if clearlooks wasn't found. So for me, and guitarix users this wont be a issue any more.
Cool. at least there's a good workaround now. Cheers!
tramp wrote:Which gtk/gtkmm version is used to build mixbus v4?
Maybe I'll push a compatible binary to sourceforge.
gtk+2.24.23 and gtkmm 2.24.4.
The complete and exact version of all libraries to build Ardour/Mixbus from scratch: https://nightly.ardour.org/list.php#build_deps
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Okay, here is the latest release of guitarix build with gcc5 for AMD to be compatible with Mixbus and Ardour5 nightly builds. Note, that this is for the gcc5 versions of them.

It's build with the --convolver-ffmpeg flag as well, to avoid the initial crash on Mixbus when used fftw3.

However, this release ain't include the fix for a missing clearlocks engine, but I'll update that soon.

Those of you who wont to try GxAmplifier on Mixbus can get it here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... _amd64.deb

On the road again.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

tramp wrote:Okay, here is the latest release of guitarix build with gcc5 for AMD to be compatible with Mixbus and Ardour5 nightly builds. Note, that this is for the gcc5 versions of them.
Belated thanks for the fix. I can now use GxAmplifier as a plugin in Mixbus. Sessions close and reopen without issue.

Between this and the SVT plugin I feel like I have every tool I could wish for. This is going streamline workflow and add a lot of flexibility. Much gratitude!! :D :D
listenable at c6a7.org
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

ufug wrote:Belated thanks for the fix. I can now use GxAmplifier as a plugin in Mixbus. Sessions close and reopen without issue.
Thanks for confirming that it works. :)

regards
hermann
On the road again.