Linux Musicians streaming radio

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Linux Musicians streaming radio

Post by MattKingUSA »

Anyone interested in making a stream that features music from linuxmusicians.com members?

-Matt :D

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Linux Musicians streaming radio

Post by jonetsu »

MattKingUSA wrote:Anyone interested in making a stream that features music from linuxmusicians.com members?
Making it, probably not. OTOH, I see no problem in streaming what I've done so far on Soundcloud since last year. There's about 40 pieces there I think, from acoustic to electronica. And with developing mixing 'skills' (well, hopefully one day I will be able to call them 'skills' :) I've updated the signature here to have links to some.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This brings an interesting question about levels - making one piece after the other be located at pretty much the same level, for a better lsitening experience.
Last edited by jonetsu on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I'm in.

But, stream on what, where, how?
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Well looks like icecast and shoutcast are options. But honestly it was an idea but I dont know of an easy way to accomplish it. In regard to hosting and submissions etc. I considered making a custom php based uploader using unique logins for users but if it were really simplified it would be a very manual process. And since i dont know anything about database management i assumed that if this were an idea that lm users liked that perhaps someone would have some insight or help to facilitate starting the process. I would think with the large amount of users that may have an interest, using a database would make the most sense. But like i was saying i have no experience in implementing anything like this. If anyone does and could input some information it may be a bit clearer wether or not it would he worth the time to launch an audio stream for lm.

ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I love this idea! What would you think about a podcast format for this? It might be a little less daunting than setting up a stream.

I think libsyn and archive.org are low-to-no cost solutions for hosting the files and generating the feed. Five or six tracks every few weeks might be more manageable than maintaining a stream. It would always be new, whereas a stream is often a couple dozen tracks on a loop that never get refreshed.

It could be just the music straight up (to keep it simple), or presented DJ style. Lots of format options.

Anyway, just a thought. There are a few music podcasts I subscribe to and I always look forward to new episodes of OSM and #systemau partially due to the featured music.
listenable at c6a7.org
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

personally I think I'd start with just a weekly podcast or even just a blog with links to the music. Something like that until you have enough material to fill more time. I don't know if you'd want any threshold for quality of what does on the show, but I'd be concerned for finding enough material that would showcase the tools well.

But I'd also love to hear more music made in linux. Something like the way the association of music podcasting does their "weekly" shows.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

ssj71 wrote:personally I think I'd start with just a weekly podcast or even just a blog with links to the music. Something like that until you have enough material to fill more time. I don't know if you'd want any threshold for quality of what does on the show, but I'd be concerned for finding enough material that would showcase the tools well.

But I'd also love to hear more music made in linux. Something like the way the association of music podcasting does their "weekly" shows.
This makes sense.
Maybe upload songs to archive.org like they do with the One Synth Challenge. Streaming links are provided by archive.org , at least I think it does.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Well, so what would be the best hosting site that will allow music uploads?

And as far as what would be played I think that the only restriction should be things that are not made on Linux or not CC licensed. I don't think that the quality of the audio says anything negative about Linux. There are some terrible sounding tracks recorded on every OS.

Also, there is so much content being produced by LM users I think there are hundreds of potential podcast to be made, if that's the preferred delivery method, opposed to streaming radio.

Someone would need to host the podcast as well. Mostly in order to give proper credit to the artists in compliance to the CC license.

I know that GNUFunk is a podcast created with this exact format. However it is in Italian. The creator, can't remember his name, but he is a LM member as well. I haven't listened to his podcast in about 4 years though. Not sure if he is still doing that. But it was pretty great.

EDIT: Here's GNUFunk, looks like last podcast was in 2010? Could have sworn I listened to his show more recent than that. https://archive.org/search.php?query=su ... k-radio%22

Here's a quote from the podcast. "podcast italiano dedicato a gnu/linux audio e alla musica libera"

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

MattKingUSA wrote:"podcast italiano dedicato a gnu/linux audio e alla musica libera"
So, using Bitwig and u-he commercal synths would be a no-go in this case ?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

This forum is for Linux musicians, for me that doesn't mean GNU/libre/foss only.

Bitwig runs on Linux.
U-he runs on Linux.
Reaper running in wine, on Linux.

All fine by me.

However, how do we handle licences/copyright? We don't want a lawsuit over these.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

rghvdberg wrote:However, how do we handle licences/copyright? We don't want a lawsuit over these.
It would have to be opt-in by the musicians, probably an agreement on some flavor of Creative Commons would be best to avoid any trouble.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I was suggesting a podcast featuring music created by lm members. That would cover every member creating music on Linux. We even have an android section. So would it have to be gnu, I dont believe so.

I personally only use gnu software and my websites have no proprietary code. But not every lm member is the same. So I see no reason to restrict users from being featured in a potential podcast. Even in regard to licensing. It should be of course be addressed but not in a way as to force someone into a license. I would underatand not featuring a musician or band who require or are bound by agreement to recieve monetary compensation for playing their music. That would be the only exeption that I could anticipate being an issue.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I'd be interested in contributing (got a few hours worth under my belt) but not in any of the organisation side. I'm already up to my eyeballs in stuff :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

MattKingUSA wrote:I was suggesting a podcast featuring music created by lm members. That would cover every member creating music on Linux. We even have an android section. So would it have to be gnu, I dont believe so.

I personally only use gnu software and my websites have no proprietary code. But not every lm member is the same. So I see no reason to restrict users from being featured in a potential podcast. Even in regard to licensing. It should be of course be addressed but not in a way as to force someone into a license. I would underatand not featuring a musician or band who require or are bound by agreement to recieve monetary compensation for playing their music. That would be the only exeption that I could anticipate being an issue.
Good points, let's all be wary of that last remark. :!:

So, let's brainstorm :
What do we have, what do we need.
  • Music: do we need to worry about levels? Do we make one long podcast or do we make a playlist.
  • License/Copyright: Do the contributors sign a digital form or something, or more in the like of : If you submit a song for this podcast you give permission to .. bla bla bla
    We could setup a soundcloud account (meh ..)
    Talk to raboof ? podcast.linuxmusicians.com (that would be awesome)
  • How do we 'collect' the music? People upload to a site? Send it to a 'admin' ?
I think the best way to promote linux audio (and linux in general) is making good stuff and share it with as many people as you can. Be damn proud of what you made and make very clear that you' ve used Linux for your work. Don't try to persuade people to use Linux. Don't push them over, lure them over.