Who pays for what ?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: Who pays for what ?

Post by GMaq »

Do you financially support Ardour via a monthly payment ?

Yes

Do you support any other FLOSS project with regular payments ?

Yes not monthly though, but every few months

Did you donate money to any open-source developers in 2016 ? If so, how often ?

Yes, approximately 3- 4 times a year, mostly those who have helped with AV Linux, wish I could do more :oops:

Did you purchase any commercial music software for Linux in 2016 ?

Yes, U-he Presswerk, Satin. Illformed Glitch2, OverToneDSP PTM-5A, Mixbus32C
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Do you financially support Ardour via a monthly payment ?

No. I've only used Ardour once in, 2011. I think it's a solid DAW, just not the features or workflow I prefer.

Do you support any other FLOSS project with regular payments ? Did you donate money to any open-source developers in 2016 ? If so, how often ?
I donate to projects once a year, usually in January or February after I figure out the previous year's income and taxes. If I made money using your free software (open source or not) you get a percentage of my income. I also have a smaller budget for entertainment. If I played your free game last year, you get money.

Did you purchase any commercial music software for Linux in 2016 ?

No, but I've long contemplated Bitwig because it's the closest thing to what I'm looking for in a DAW. However, these days I find less of a need for it and I've become comfortable in my current workflow (for now). Unfortunately, none of the audio tools I use for fun and profit are native to Linux and I wish that would change.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Interesting question!
davephillips wrote: Do you financially support Ardour via a monthly payment ?
I have given to Ardour but I don't subscribe (I hate hate hate subscription models for software, sorry).
davephillips wrote: Do you support any other FLOSS project with regular payments ?
See above.
davephillips wrote: Did you donate money to any open-source developers in 2016 ? If so, how often ?
Yes. "How often" doesn't really apply. I donate to projects when I find and utilize them, be they distros, audio tools, websites or other projects. There's no recurring schedule for usefulness...
davephillips wrote: Did you purchase any commercial music software for Linux in 2016 ?
Yes, several things. I want to promote continued development on Linux, commercial or not. <3 Pianoteq, Mixbus, Tracktion.

Comments: When I donate to a project, it's usually one-time and I donate ~USD20 or so. I don't have tons of extra cash, but I do want to let developers know their time and creativity is appreciated.

I have to say there are projects I would love to donate to but can't really find out how to. Guitarix, Calf, LMP. I use these every time I fire up my studio in one way or another, but they provide no way to donate financially on their websites as far as I can tell.
listenable at c6a7.org