Crazyness i experienced

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tnovelli
Established Member

Re: Crazyness i experienced

Post by tnovelli »

They probably had a bad experience with Linux. I've been using it for 20+ years and I have to say it was horrible for audio and realtime stuff until the last few years. Even now it's hit-or-miss unless you take advice from a forum like this.

My guess is that they're smug Mac weenies, because audio "just works" on that platform (except when it doesn't of course). Windows pro audio (ASIO drivers, lol) can be pretty frustrating especially if you care about latency. Maybe they don't?? That would explain why they say Guitarix is impossible, because you need <5ms latency for it to work well. AFAIK that's asking a lot from Windows. But I know you can play guitar through DSP effects on Windows because I have a friend who does it. OTOH, he's not really into speed or precision... "20ms is enough for anyone" :lol:

In the wider music scene I guess a lot of people hate COMPUTERS and DIGITAL in general, not any particular platform :D
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

beck wrote:It surprised me that the negative reactions where that fanatic.
That's almost always a result of their previous encounters with "Linux fanbois" who, to folks who prefer other OS's, come across every bit as "fanatic" in their "negative reactions" towards those alternatives, as you perceived negativity toward linux.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

We're musicians. It's all cool and groovy-bro and love and stuff until you reveal that YOU USED WHAT BRAND OF STRINGS ON YOUR GUITAR? OMG YOUR MUSIC IS TRASH AND YOU SHOULD BE IMPALED ON A DW HIHAT STAND!
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Don't pay attention to the naysayers and get some quality stuff done.
They will eventually stfu, and if you're really successful follow you like the good sheep they are ;-)

99% of Musicians are just following the trends and copying each other ad nauseam - Last 1% are the creative ones / trend setters (at least so I've read somewhere - I'd bet on no more than 0.5%)
Guess which group the music industry is more interested in shoveling tons of expensive garbage to?
Linux based studios done for almost nothing don't exactly fit well in that business plan - regardless of the fact that it works out or not, we're swimming against a huge marketing machine.
So you should expect to encounter some resistance along the way...don't get distracted and continue doing whatever you have to do.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Man, i'm al the way below on the scale. My whole studio cost me about 150 euro (= about 110 pounds?). Nothing to show off with in there opinion.
I see it as being quite the opposite actually: there's plenty to show off if you can achieve more with less. It's called efficiency.
A word of caution: this approach will also not make you very popular in (semi)pro-music circles.
Nothing to worry about here. We are for the vast majority hobbyists as well and generally nice people ;-)
Is on this forum something like a songs presentation?
There you go: viewforum.php?f=9

Criticism is often more useful than praise - but take it easy with mine, ok?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Most places I either have a link to my website in my sig, of in my forum profile :)
I think it would be a good idea if everyone did that, although with all that potential listening I don't know how I'd find time to do anything else :lol:

P.S.
My website is absolutely minimal, but has no javascript and loads just about instantly.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Some people still hold to the idea that "free (gratis) can't be good." Even with music, many are quite jealous and do not want to share their stuff/ideas, creations, whatever, without being paid for it.

Didn't they teach us in elementary school that sharing is a good thing?? :idea:

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

beck wrote:
gimmeapill wrote:99% of Musicians are just following the trends and copying each other ad nauseam - Last 1% are the creative ones / trend setters (at least so I've read somewhere - I'd bet on no more than 0.5%)
Is that what they call 'gear lust'? :mrgreen:
Nothing more than buying a lot of useless knobs, lights, bling, and more circus like that? To 'show off more than he can' ? :roll:
I think "gear lust" is a bit different; you spend enough time with your gear and run into limitations -- that certain brightness that never seems to be there, that noise that's always in your mic tracks, that certain sound you've heard but can't quite achieve with your gear -- and then you see some piece of equipment that promises to solve all that and YOU MUST HAVE IT!! That's gear lust.

But I think among musicians there is a lot of fear and insecurity. Music these days is judged on such flimsy standards; you can write a brilliant composition, but because you used a reverb setting, synth patch, or snare drum sound that was popular 10 years ago your music is now "dated" and "out of touch". You can be an amazing talent, but because you're balding, overweight, and dressed like a dad nobody cares to listen to you. People judge on such meaningless minutia (and we're all guilty of it, let's be honest).

So musicians are afraid. They want to position themselves as creative, trailblazing, different, nonconformist; but they're terrified of being isolated and rejected. So we *must* have ProTools/GarageBand/Ableton/whatever because it's what *everyone* is using to make music. We must have brand X of microphone and brand Y of guitar amp and process everything with plugin Z because that's what insert-currently-hip-musician-here used on his/her latest album. We dare not use *that* kind of synth sound/snare drum/bass effect because it's *so* 90's/00's/ yesterday. Use a tool that "nobody" is using? You must be mad.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

ARRRGH! Noooo! Must... turn... it... off.
That was just too cruel.
Quck, back to Sid's version... Ahhh! That's better. :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}