Places to be?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

spm_gl
Established Member

Places to be?

Post by spm_gl »

Hi,
just wondering, which other forums, apart from the great linuxmusicians.com, are worth participating in? I sometimes post on gearslutz, but it's rather noisy.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
DioXide
Established Member

Re: Places to be?

Post by DioXide »

Personally I don't participate anywhere else.. I'm only on two places on the whole internet :D

The one I like to read from time to time is the Sound On Sound forum, and it sure looks like a nice place to write if you have something to say.. Sometimes they bring up very interesting topics (for me anyway, since I'm not an engineer)

(And I agree that the SNR of GearSlutz is on the ground... In some threads it's actually below the ground, like the Behringer bashing ones. You only post there when you need big-time exposure)

(On a related note, a lot of Linux people seems to prefer mailing lists over forums... I don't like them, but to each his own)
Expert in non-working solutions.
(Signature shamelessly ripped from someone else, is still the truth)
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

Hm, Sound on Sound does look interesting, I'll keep an eye on it.
I don't like mailling lists either, they clog up my mailbox. And I spend way too much time writing/reading mails anyhow.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

i follow the ubuntuforums 'multimedia production' and to a lesser extent 'multimedia & video' forums, and subscribe to the windlist.

on irc i sometimes lurk the ubuntustudio, 64studio, lau and linuxmusicians channels.
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Sound on Sound is good as been already said, a bit slow in the linux section. I try to follow audiomastersforum.net, it is very specific for Adobe Audition, but the general sections are interesting. Homerecording.com/bbs/ isn't too bad either with lots of info if you dig a little.

Not a big follower of mailing lists either. I do scan the subjects of some (ffado, rezound, gwc) but seldom post.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

that mailing-lists suck. i don't know why most linux-users tend to stay "old-fassioned", prefering command line commands is a other example.

as to respond the question: the place to be should be HERE. kind of "dead" here, as being the "bigest" (only?) linux-audio-forum (cross-distro i mean)
Last edited by Capoeira on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
brummer

Post by brummer »

LAU , LAD and Jackit are the mailinglists were the most recent problems in Linux Audio are discused.
It's easy to open your mailclient and send/watch the mails instead browse a bunch of forums.

The comandline is the fastes way to configure your system to your needs.
DioXide
Established Member

Post by DioXide »

(It's safe to ignore this post)
brummer wrote:It's easy to open your mailclient and send/watch the mails instead browse a bunch of forums.

No, this is 2009, no one uses mail clients anymore (your mail is in a webpage) and it's extremely easy to browse a forum (not a bunch of forums - there should be a common forum, just like LAD is a common list), it's easier to read too (better formatting).

brummer wrote:The comandline is the fastes way to configure your system to your needs.

No. If you're new to Linux, it's easier to use an interface you're already familiar with than to have to learn what a bunch of almost-cryptic commands mean.

...if you're not new, it's still probably not (only your brain thinks it is). It has been proven: (read all the comments) http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/k ... the-mouse/
--
Sorry, don't want to get into an OT flame war :) , but I'm tired of people "helping" newbies with commands, it gives a very bad image to Linux and scares new people off
brummer

Post by brummer »

do you realy belive that the internal beheavor from linux is developed on GUI base ?
do you realy belive that there is no need for a place to discuse how to do it and witch way to go?
no one uses mail clients anymore
Note, all recent discusion of the way linux audio is going, stay in mailing lists. All developers are involved in this process prefer mailinglists. All users how want to be a part of this proccess use mailinglists. Not all people prefer the same formation.
Same is, one prefer a Video, the other a bock.

You see it's a mater of taste, not of "we are 2009" and "mailclients are out"

So, if you belive it or not, there are people out there how prefer the commandline and mailinglist befor GUI's and forum's.
As a sidenote, I prefer both.
DioXide
Established Member

Post by DioXide »

Man, developers and end-users play in different leagues... Please don't mix them :wink:

An end-user doesn't care about how the "internal behaviour of Linux" is developed...

I believe in people who prefer mailing lists and command line. They are called "developers".

I believe in people who prefer forums and GUI. They are called "end-users".

The appropiate methods should be used for each kind of person. It's not entirely a matter of taste
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

it's easier to read too (better formatting).
Says the one who posts in flyspec 3.... Those posts where not readable because badly formatted, something that would not been an issue with mail :wink:

Seriously, I prefer my mail locally instead of in a browser. Much easier to search, catalogue and keep it organised. All my mail since 2003 is at my fingertips. Being able to read it in a browser is practical from time to time but it isn't the "end all" way. Same for online apps: they suck!

I can understand that devellopers prefer mailing lists. Software devellopment is something that you don't do with a mouse, you type code. This is a very keyboard oriented job. So having a mailclient open that automatically sort your incoming mail is much better than having to browser through several tabs to see what changed. You get directly a flag where a new post came with a header telling you what is in it. Much more efficient than a forum. You can even read it without stopping typing code, impossible with a webbased forum.

As for commandline, I'm split between the 2(3). Sometimes graphical is easy (like when configuring the look of your desktop) the other time I prefer to wade through a text file (like when configuring X) And then untarring in a terminal is far faster than having to open 10 windows and click a hundred times to untar a single file.

Graphical might be easy for those coming from windows, but it doesn't have to be for those that learn linux directly. And I have had my fair share of messing inside the registry. Maybe you call that a graphical interface, but typing Hex values in a window isn't exactly very user-friendly either.
The appropiate methods should be used for each kind of person. It's not entirely a matter of taste
I think it is a matter of taste very much. I prefer typing in the few html codes when posting instead of leaving the keyboard, grab the mouse, click the button, click back where I was typing and go back to the keyboard. Likewise I unload my camera by transfering the memory card, mount the card manually in a terminal and then use a filemanager to transfer the content and use a commandline to convert raw to jpeg.

But I'm very surely an end-user, I can't type a line of code to save my life. Working code...
brummer

Post by brummer »

DioXide wrote:Man, developers and end-users play in different leagues... Please don't mix them :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
So you think they dont need a place to comunicate, developers and end-users should NEVER talk with etch other, dont mix them , eh :?:
And you think because YOU prefer Forums, ALL end users do so, eh :?:
:D :D :D

Nothing bad, I just wont to show that the useage from Maillists isn't a "let's stay with the old behavior", Havoc bring it out in a better form then me.
Also, here in this forum I never see a tip like "you must use the commandline" to a new user. :wink:
DioXide
Established Member

Post by DioXide »

The small size is to not distract people from the original topic too much. Be considerate.

1. Well, you're an exception rather than the norm. Most normal PC users (and I've worked with a lot, I repair computers) would take GMail over any mail client, any day. It has all the features you need, such as categories, custom filters, advanced search. You only lose the ability to read it offline, but who is ever offline anymore? Almost everyone has permanent DSL connections these days.. Even here in Mexico

2. Yes, I can also understand why _developers_ prefer CLI and mailing lists... I, just like you, reckon that for them it's better.

3. Again, you are the exception. 99% of the people _does_ come from Windows or Mac.. And you don't have to mess with the registry - there are tons of programs that map out all the meaningful registry entries to a nice GUI. That's part of why Windows is so ""easy to use"" - anyone can "tweak" it until it crashes (typical of Windows :) )

4. You're right but text formatting is a bad example (out of tons of good examples out there), and if you mount the card manually then you're not an end-user, you're a power-user, and you're doing so because you want. In a system setup for an end-user, there's no such thing as mounting, a daemon mounts the card as soon as it's inserted and automatically opens the file manager. No need to touch anything.

5. Well, maybe I forgot the third kind of user: Power-user/geek-user. Just like you couldn't write a line of code to save your life, a common end-user couldn't manually mount a drive to save his life.

Get over it, not everyone knows how an OS works beyond the pretty graphics, and not everyone wants to know. Obviously, if they don't want to know, they will use the OS where they don't have to know. That would be Mac or Windows. If Linux wants to best them, you know what I'm going to say...

PS. By formatting I don't mean the formatting of the text itself, which can be quite rich on mail, I mean the format in which everything is laid out on screen

Oh and brummer (you ninja'd me), one thing is developer-developer communications (mailing lists are ideal) and another is user-developer communications.. Just take a quick look at all those professional companies that charge $$$ for their work and yet people love them - yes, most have forums.

And maybe it doesn't happen here (I love this board, after all), but it's way too common in other places.. (which is the original topic).

Finally, yes, people likes forums... I've seen them asking for them (and no one complaining).

No feelings man, when I said mailing lists were a thing of the past, I was thinking of consumers, not developers.. Musicians count as the former.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Can an admin split this topic please?

To wit: if this were a mailinglist, and you'd be using a good, threaded mail client, this would not be such a problem ;).
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

DioXide wrote:The small size is to not distract people from the original topic too much. Be considerate.
I'm sorry, but be considerate of your readers' vision. My eyes are killing me just glancing over that post.