Rude but Has a Point?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

ssj71
Established Member

Rude but Has a Point?

Post by ssj71 »

There has been a long discussion on whether someone being rude should be considered in argument. I'm hoping to move that discussion here.

I personally think its a folly to dismiss someone because they did not present their case with tact. You can learn something from everyone. Even real jerks.

There is also a strong case though that considering their points condones their rude behaviour.

What do you think?
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
raboof
Established Member

Re: Rude but Has a Point?

Post by raboof »

ssj71 wrote:There has been a long discussion on whether someone being rude should be considered in argument. I'm hoping to move that discussion here.

I personally think its a folly to dismiss someone because they did not present their case with tact. You can learn something from everyone. Even real jerks.

There is also a strong case though that considering their points condones their rude behaviour.

What do you think?
I don't know which thread in particular you're referring to, but I'll bite.

My experience in general is that folks who can't or won't make the effort to present their case with tact usually don't have much valuable to contribute to the discussion. They may make valid claims, but usually they're just stating the obvious with a lot of emotion, instead of making insightful/educational observations. If it starts out rude, it's not often the thread later turns into something productive.

Often such posts are responded to with more rude posts, meta-discussions, amateur psychology on why the poster is so rude, and name-calling (X is a troll!). This is arguably even worse and even less productive.

I've often been the one taking a "colourful personality" seriously and trying to help them make their point - even after everyone else already had given up. I can't really think of an instance where it was worth the trouble and frustration.

Personally I'm very careful only to moderate when I deem it absolutely neccessary. But if I'm honest, I think we'd probably be better off nipping things in the bud.more.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

raboof wrote: My experience in general is that folks who can't or won't make the effort to present their case with tact usually don't have much valuable to contribute to the discussion...
I'm following a self-imposed rule: Post only positive messages or don't post at all. I say again, the kill filters here work fine. If I want to keep up on work from a socially odious developer or user I can simply fetch his work from its repo. I don't have to put up with what I consider bad behavior, I can - and do - assign offensive posters to the kill bin. End of problem for me. Clears the psychic atmosphere remarkably well. Makes LM a more enjoyable experience overall.

Best,

dp
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

StudioDave wrote:
raboof wrote: My experience in general is that folks who can't or won't make the effort to present their case with tact usually don't have much valuable to contribute to the discussion...
I'm following a self-imposed rule: Post only positive messages or don't post at all. I say again, the kill filters here work fine. If I want to keep up on work from a socially odious developer or user I can simply fetch his work from its repo. I don't have to put up with what I consider bad behavior, I can - and do - assign offensive posters to the kill bin. End of problem for me. Clears the psychic atmosphere remarkably well. Makes LM a more enjoyable experience overall.

Best,

dp
Thanks for that. I do find the unpleasantness on forums off putting and have already encountered the most blatant arrogance here from at least one very highly respected dev and have considered giving up on the forum & just keeping my illusions. As a musician I find it hard because if there is bad vibes associated with someone the feeling puts a damper on my creativity when using their software: I am a very intuitive player - a no show means no flow and not a lot happens.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

English Guy wrote:... I do find the unpleasantness on forums off putting ... and have considered giving up on the forum & just keeping my illusions.
Fortunately there are so many fine helpful people here. Filtering offensive traffic removes the irritation and leaves me with the good stuff I come here for, e.g. posts regarding new and updated software, sound banks, recordings, production advice, hardware recommendations, etc.

Best,

dp
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

good thoughts all.

I think it probably is best practice to leave angry folks alone. The more you respond to them the more they go off. Even trying to validate their concerns and be a mediator generally just prolongs the flames. Unfortunately. I wish everyone would just get along. I personally don't usually get aggravated so I don't think I'll make any kill filters. I think they often enough have SOME valid points that I can sift out.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I think "the rude guy that has a point"'s problem is intolerance

generaly the other part understood his point, but has another point of view.
the rude guy doesn't want to accept this and LOOSES his point at that point (if this does any sense)