We need a place for uploading and share music!

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Post by studio32 »

It should be easy and quick.

Now people often use services like megaupload, but the don't work very nice.

It should be cool to have a place to be able to share music freely!
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: We need a place for uploading and share music!

Post by MattKingUSA »

That costs money. Unless someone wants to donate ftp.

-Matt :D

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Yes, if we were to host it the costs would definitely go up. Right now we're not pulling in very many donations at all, so we'll just have to see how it goes in terms money for better hosting. Of course, if people host elsewhere, they're always welcome to post links here.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

personally i don't see the problem with just having the tracks hosted at sendspace/divshare/blah blah blah there's a million of these sites.

i don't see why people have issues with them, just make sure you have noScript if your that worried.

i don't get your comment studio32, whats not free about these sites? theres no charge, you can have a track hosted for you and it can be downloaded as many times as you want.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
studio32

Post by studio32 »

You have to fill in codes, then you have to wait a while etc. It would be much better to have a linuxmusician sharing site, so you also stick and gather them there... I hope you see the advantage...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

http://alonetone.com/ seems nice for (mostly) finished work.

For work-in-progress, i'd expect there to be an existing free place online... if not perhaps we could set something up.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

studio32 wrote:You have to fill in codes, then you have to wait a while etc. It would be much better to have a linuxmusician sharing site, so you also stick and gather them there... I hope you see the advantage...
putting in a code and waiting 10-15 seconds is nothing, if you use sendspace you don't even have to do these things. fact is though you ever think you might be complaining over nothing. getting FREE hosting for as many files as you want without even registering on a website seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

it doesn't matter whether the tracks are hosted in one place or not, thats what the section on this forum is for to collect them in one space, where the file is hosted doesn't matter.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
studio32

Post by studio32 »

If you like to go to an website, fill in some codes and wait another 10-30 seconds to hear the short piece of music, it's fine. But it's not my preferred way of doing this. I like to click on the track and hear the song and without having to download it and I think this is possible, and it's preferable for an community like linuxmusicians. I don't say it isn't a fair deal of such hostingsites, but I don't care if its fair or not. I don't like it, costs to much time and effort and we could do it much better then that imo.
DioXide
Established Member

Post by DioXide »

Data hosting costs a lot of money..

If you don't like general-purpose services like snailshare, the other option is a P2P network, like Torrents.

That's how Ambisonia did it, and it goes very well for popular recordings... The problem is with old recordings or stuff few people downloads, there are no seeds.

Of course, if we do it that way, there's always the potential advantage that, if we ever raise enough funds, we can set up a seed server, which would give some users ftp-like speeds :D ... When the donations fall again and we're forced to suspend the service, the files will (hopefully) not be lost.
Expert in non-working solutions.
(Signature shamelessly ripped from someone else, is still the truth)
becks
Established Member

Post by becks »

studio32 wrote:If you like to go to an website, fill in some codes and wait another 10-30 seconds to hear the short piece of music, it's fine. But it's not my preferred way of doing this. I like to click on the track and hear the song and without having to download it and I think this is possible, and it's preferable for an community like linuxmusicians. I don't say it isn't a fair deal of such hostingsites, but I don't care if its fair or not. I don't like it, costs to much time and effort and we could do it much better then that imo.
why not archive.org ? you can also use the stream url, so you can listen without downloading.
(and without the damn flash applet)
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Does archive.org require your uploads be public domain?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

simta wrote:getting FREE hosting for as many files as you want without even registering on a website seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be on the lookout for even sweeter deals to use and recommend ;).
DioXide wrote:Data hosting costs a lot of money..
On the other hand, services where users can store their stuff for free are all the rage these days (flickr, youtube, gmail, you name it).
DioXide wrote:the other option is a P2P network, like Torrents
P2P might be nice indeed - not sure which technologies would provide a pleasant interface though, and our community alone might be a bit small for this at this point. Tribler claims to do 'bittorrent audio and video streaming', but that required downloading their client.
becks
Established Member

Post by becks »

nathan wrote:Does archive.org require your uploads be public domain?
afaik, only CC license
philip888
Established Member

Post by philip888 »

raboof wrote:http://alonetone.com/ seems nice for (mostly) finished work.

For work-in-progress, i'd expect there to be an existing free place online... if not perhaps we could set something up.

Thanks nice find.
musicos

Post by musicos »

Hi all, I´m new here and saw this post. I´m from spain and had created a musicians social network in spanish and English. Let me present it:

This is a new web site for professional musicians (instruments, teachers, composers, conductors, singers of Classical, Jazz and 21 Century music). Is a new social network http://www.musicosprofesionales.com

All services are totally free and once you register will got your own personal or ensemble web page. Those are the free services:

Upload Videos, 40 Megas each file
Upload Audios, 20 Megas each file
Upload Photos, no limit
Create groups
Publish articles
Publish events
Polls
Forums (public or private for yours groups)
Chats
Publish ads and sell or buy directly with Paypal

Each time you upload or publish anything will be automatically incorporated into your personal page. The name of your personal page is very simple so you can easily remember and be able to share it with everyone you want: musicosprofesionales.com/nickname
So is very importan to choose a good nickname (no spaces)

I wanto to invite all of you to star creating your web and show the worl what you do or you like.

Hope se you there. This is my profile in Professional Musicians: musicosprofesionales.com/Abel