Computer / Audio Hardware benchmark section?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

warkus
Established Member

Computer / Audio Hardware benchmark section?

Post by warkus »

What do you think of a section where people could post performance benchmarks of their hardware. I know that we already have openbenchmarking.org amongst other linux benchmarking sites like phoronix.com. These sites are helpfull in deciding on which mobo and cpu etc, but it would be really helpful and fun to see the results from jdelay and other tests run across a wide variety of hardware. If this is of interest to enough users we could devise a Linux Audio Benchmark consisting of the already available tools. The results could be devided into new threads for each model of sound card and have users include their specs? Anyhow just thought this would be interesting, what do you think?
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: Computer / Audio Hardware benchmark section?

Post by Scary Hallo »

Good idea. I hope we have enough people here who participate.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

warkus wrote:What do you think of a section where people could post performance benchmarks of their hardware. ?
Also, a mention of various kernels performance, as the variety, patches, and jargon around them
make a confusing array of moving targets. Makes it hard to give straight answers to someone considering adding a linux system.
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

Also, a mention of various kernels performance, as the variety, patches, and jargon around them
make a confusing array of moving targets. Makes it hard to give straight answers to someone considering adding a linux system.
Thats along the lines I was thinking, we would need an example or template for responses eg.

Interface: Lexicon Lambda, USB 2.0
Latency: 8ms
Kernel: Linux Lowlatency 3.0.0-12
GPU Driver: Nvidia Binary version x.x.x

CPU: AMD sempron 3600+
Ram: 1GB 800MHz
Hard drive: Sata II 7200rpm

jdelay:
(some other tests):

Comments: This interface has performed inconsistantly in terms of latency and xruns between different kernels, but has a reasonable quality of sound and features for the price.
User rating: 6/10
etc. etc.

The info and comments could go on forever so a sticky thread at the top of the hardware benchmark section could be used as a template so users can just fill in the gaps. It would be easier for users to compare different setups this way.
Anyway thats just one way of doing it :D
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

a little bit older thread, but I like this idea. I think it might be nice to see JACK settings too (if applicable). It would be nice if we could compile a table to help new users have a good guess at where to start with JACK settings based on their HW.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!