developers' section

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nathan
Site Admin

Re: developers' section

Post by nathan »

studio32 wrote:would create a special 'area' for it (like musicians' corner) to give it a good spot and 'isolate' it from the rest.
I would put that section below musicians' corner.
Yeah I think that is okay. Done.
studio32 wrote: Maybe you can move some threads to the devs zone: for example that thread I mentioned in my previous post.
Done.

Thinking also about removing the "reviews" section...there's only one topic! We can discuss other other ideas for combining forums as well...the list is getting pretty long on the front page!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:Thanks for adding.
+1
The devs section doesn't fit really well in 'stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else'
:) - reminiscent of http://xkcd.com/468/

I get 'You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum' for the Developers' section forum, though
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ Nathan. Yes better now! I don't have permissions yet.. is that because I'm a dev noob? ;)

As suggested before you could write a message about the existence of the LAD mailinglist. I think it's very important to keeps developing as central as possible....

In your description (which is now: Programming applications for making music on Linux. ) you could mention something which makes the dev part more interesting for new developers.

About to much on the front page:
Yeah maybe you've to make reviews a subforum or a sticked thread too...
You could do the same with 'Your gear and studio'... as mentioned before...

I like the solution of the rehearsal room!

EDIT: I think this topic SHOULD be in the new dev zone: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=420
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

studio32 wrote:@ Nathan. Yes better now! I don't have permissions yet.. is that because I'm a dev noob? ;)0
Fixed, I hope.
studio32 wrote:As suggested before you could write a message about the existence of the LAD mailinglist. I think it's very important to keeps developing as central as possible....
Okay. Maybe a sticky in that forum?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:
studio32 wrote:As suggested before you could write a message about the existence of the LAD mailinglist. I think it's very important to keeps developing as central as possible....
Okay. Maybe a sticky in that forum?
Yes or kinda like you have in the rehearsal room, the rules. But maybe you can have another color for it (not red = warning)...
brummer

Post by brummer »

Thanks

nice section, I like it :mrgreen:
And yes I also think a tip to the LAD will be welcome and helpfull.
Let us hope that developers and users witch wont that, come toghether here and talk about sugestions and solutions for there projects. That is, I think, a big part from the selfunderstanding from OSS.

regards brummer
studio32

Post by studio32 »

brummer wrote:Thanks

nice section, I like it :mrgreen:
And yes I also think a tip to the LAD will be welcome and helpfull.
Let us hope that developers and users witch wont that, come toghether here and talk about sugestions and solutions for there projects. That is, I think, a big part from the selfunderstanding from OSS.

regards brummer
I think it would be good to have an experienced linux audio software programmer who is gonna write a 'beginners tutorial' for starting to program linux audio software!

EDIT: @ Nathan, you could also make a subforum of General Music Discussion in Backstage... to safe some space on the frontpage
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

studio32 wrote:EDIT: @ Nathan, you could also make a subforum of General Music Discussion in Backstage... to safe some space on the frontpage
Yeah, I figured that since Backstage can be about anything (not even music related) I would just put Music and Foss Advocacy in General Music discussion. It seemed to make sense.

I also just removed the reviews section all together (put the posts in Linux Distributions and Other Software). It's a great idea that I really like, but it's hard to justify even a subforum with just one topic.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:
studio32 wrote:EDIT: @ Nathan, you could also make a subforum of General Music Discussion in Backstage... to safe some space on the frontpage
Yeah, I figured that since Backstage can be about anything (not even music related) I would just put Music and Foss Advocacy in General Music discussion. It seemed to make sense.
mmhh I don't think this is a really good idea, because I think Music and Foss Advocacy is far more important than General music discussion.... Discussion about music can take place backstage isn't?
I would make that a subforum in backstage and restore the state of Music and Foss Advocacy...
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Meh, yeah...I see what you're saying. I think Music & Foss Advocacy is pretty important too. Okay...I will brainstorm a bit, and if nothing else, I'll set back up the way it was.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:Meh, yeah...I see what you're saying. I think Music & Foss Advocacy is pretty important too. Okay...I will brainstorm a bit, and if nothing else, I'll set back up the way it was.
I think it would be a good thing, yes