upgraded forum...

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: upgraded forum...

Post by studio32 »

comment on the grey color. At least it is not as 'sharp' as the blue one, but more 'muted'. So its much better.

..BUT it looks a bit boring, clean ... This looks like an website of an modern company... I'm searching more for a 'warmer' atmosphere... could you try some 'warmer' colors too (red, orange/brown tint ?)
edit: and you could try to give our logo a color, not white, but red or something else...

More importantly, it think we should keep the same colors as much as possible, to stay recognizable...! And I think the colors we had gave a pretty good atmosphere...
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I think that darker blue would look better in the text areas. But anyway, not sure what anyone else thinks but I think the pop up notification for new pms needs to go. It's sooo annoying.

EDIT: And maybe a nice aqua themed red could go over the music notes. Just make them bubly and shiney.

-Matt :D

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

MattKingUSA wrote: the pop up notification for new pms needs to go. It's sooo annoying.
Go to User Control Panel --> Board Preferences, and you can turn pop-ups off.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

MattKingUSA wrote:EDIT: And maybe a nice aqua themed red could go over the music notes. Just make them bubly and shiney.
studio32 wrote:edit: and you could try to give our logo a color, not white, but red or something else...
I'm not sure I like red or another color on top of the existing header graphic color. I think it'd look better when white text still, but changing the background to something warmer. Thoughts?
MattKingUSA wrote:I think that darker blue would look better in the text areas.
One thing I'm aiming for is to keep readability to the maximum. The darker the blue, the harder it will be to read black text on. This actually annoyed me on the old forums...I'm willing to play around with different shades, but I don't think we'll go too dark.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

So you're saying that red notes and white text wouldn't look good? I don't know, you're probly right. I'm cool with whatever. Thanks for the tip on the notifications those are irritating sometimes.

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I'm gonna mock up a couple different options and post 'em, so you and studio32 and whoever else cares can check it out.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

woah, that red is awesome.

Looks like candy, is making me hungry for pop rocks.

studio32

Post by studio32 »

Ok...

Comment on the red top font: I think we should search in this direction. maybe you can find colors which fits more with the red color then the grey one does ( brown or in the direction of light red/rose tint, or black/ purple? .)
But I do like the red color :)

edit: why not search a site with colors, so you can look what fits with each other. To find a good color combination is harder then you might think it is... for example: http://www.flexa.nl/#/colors1/

edit2: try to have black letters on a light background...
edit3: It seems to be a whole business, tip are everywhere most for commercial aims: for example look at this:
http://cobaltsystems.com/advice/colortips.html
edit4: the color of the admin is very eye catchy... to much if you ask me...
Last edited by studio32 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Cool. I will probably go with the red idea...but staying careful, since we don't it to look like valentine's day in here! ;)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:Cool. I will probably go with the red idea...but staying careful, since we don't it to look like valentine's day in here! ;)
No and no red light district here ;)

I think the red on top around our logo is great.
Maybe you could add some black in our logo...?

Maybe we could find a color in the line of the chosen red, in the direction of brown and make that the color of what is blue/grey now...

The color of the letters black and the background white or almost white with a little bit of a tint in the line of the chosen red...

I think this will make our forum 'warm, inspiring, funky but efficient' ... :)

edit: Here are examples of forums which uses some warmer colors: http://www.gitaarnet.nl/forum/ http://basgitaarforum.nl/ http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/ just as example, I do like our funky red....

EDIT: comment on 'everything red': I think this will make it to much red. :oops: Just give the font around our logo that 'pop up' funky red color...

EDIT: I think you can choose one from this website: http://www.flexa.nl/#/colors1/ second column >> number 4 , 5 or 6 from top.... or a other color from that column...
Last edited by studio32 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

pls test the hp also with - example - links2. with the "old" colours it was heavy to read.
for me it look fresh @ the moment ...
cheers khz
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

khz wrote:pls test the hp also with - example - links2. with the "old" colours it was heavy to read.
Good to test it, but I think we should do it step by step:

top/ logo color > fitting border color >> light background > black letters >> other things like links/ signature etc.
for me it look fresh @ the moment ...
cheers khz
I do not agree. It's to much red, to much 'pop-up' colors everywhere...

If you only do the top red, it will be much better. Now our logo isn't popped out anymore and that is a consequence if you use even a more brighter color red on the other parts of the forum....

See also my previous message in this topic ...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

studio32 wrote:It's to much red,
ack - i diden see the whole "Board index", only the top ...
studio32 wrote:If you only do the top red
jup
with links2 u can read good at the moment with the coulers.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

The good thing about the grey color is that it's more neutral and less attracting then the red color of the top of the forum... so now the top with the logo pop up, which is what we want...

The bad thing, it's a bid grey and clean and boring and it fits not perfect in the line with our red...
So if you could change grey to a tint which is about the same 'neutral' but has a tint which fits more with the red color, it would be better...

edit: btw did you change the size of the logo? I think i like it a bit larger
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Nobody freak out about the brown borders...just testing. If you have a good idea for that color, let met know.