make an members only subforum for music

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: make an members only subforum for music

Post by studio32 »

Jedee wrote:would it be nice to maybe show the members your music and talk about it?

members only section with a safe haven to protect our " baby's.....

:roll:
Please look if you post your posts in the right forum places...

I think this belongs in suggestions... (Mods/ admin??)

I think it's a good idea to have also a 'member only' topic to share music and musically experiments... For people who are a bit 'scared' to post it for 'all the people in the world', or for people who just want to share something with the members of linuxmusicians.com...

I think we should have both possibilities, hidden and open... although if possible, just share it with 'everybody'....
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

So, this would be for unlicensed music?

-Matt :D

studio32

Post by studio32 »

MattKingUSA wrote:So, this would be for unlicensed music?
You, say, as comment on the words of JD, nobody can copy it if you make sure it has an license... good point!?!

But it can happen that you want to post a nice riff without a license...
But also if you want to know what people think of your voice and you don't want the whole world to listen to your first voice line.... ;)

For these cases a members only forum part will be good in my opinion..
Last edited by studio32 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

studio32 wrote:
You, say, as comment on the words of JD, nobody can copy it if you make sure it has an license... good point!?!

But it can happen that you want to post a nice riff without a license...
But also if you want to know what people think of your voice and you don't want the whole world to listen to your first voice line.... ;)

For these cases a members only forum part with be good in my opinion..
Agreed

studio32

Post by studio32 »

And maybe good for music projects from members of linuxmusicians.com (that make me think about a hidden part in the wiki too, to share scores and audio files ??? )
becks
Established Member

Post by becks »

studio32 wrote:

For these cases a members only forum part will be good in my opinion..
+1
ciao
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Isn't it possible to define 'members only' a bit better?

When I register I'm a member... and am able to copy stuff etc.

Could we not add a smart tool or procedure to avoid this?

- you should ask for it, when you want to join that part.
- you should accept a form with some rules (e.g. don't distribute or copy things on that area of the forum etc.)

??

EDIT: we also should think about copyright in this forum part.

It is not allowed to copy sheets etc. But there are some exceptions when used for analyzing music (scientific (or as musician?)) or learning a computer program (lilypond)...

For example, I put 'Zeven Nation Army' from The Elephant on score and midi. To see how they made up that song, how the drum, bass and guitar parts are and how to write it down with lilypond and use it in a midi sequencer.

I like to share it to show how to use lilypond and for example for some people who want to pratice the bassguitar and want to use the midi file as drums backing midi track...

But I don't put it on this public site, cause then it will be copied all over....
Maybe the 'members only' part will allow me to share these explorings and files...

This is what someone said on the lilypond user mailinglist about this issue
It appears that some people are posting snippets of music from artists who haven't been dead yet for 50 years, the main criteria for public domain stuff in Canada.

Just for the record:

The Canadian Copyright Act (http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html) states "Fair dealing for the purpose of research or private study does not infringe copyright". The wikipedia article on '"fair dealing" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_deali ... _in_Canada gives some good guidelines"

"...six principal criteria for evaluating fair dealing.

1. *The Purpose of the Dealing* Is it for research, private study,
criticism, review or news reporting? It expresses that "these
allowable purposes should not be given a restrictive
interpretation or this could result in the undue restriction of
users' rights."

Indeed, it seems the Copyright Act spends most of its time dealing with what *is not* an infringement. Back to wikipedia:

* " 3. The Amount of the Dealing* How much of the work was used? What was the importance of the infringed work? Quoting trivial amounts may alone sufficiently establish fair dealing. In some cases even quoting the entire work may be fair dealing."

Ok, enough.. I just wanted to touch on this in a public forum... I think using snippets of works, and posting them, to learn a computer program
is "fair dealing." I won't be losing any sleep over it.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Please join this discussion if you're a member! :)

@ Nathan, could you place this in 'suggestions'?? And give an reaction as admin? ;)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

i think it is a good idea.
(i had the sense to the last 10 years that i never record anything from my noise/experiment/disharmony/arhythmic/... . :wink: )
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I think this a pretty cool idea...I think we can accomplish it by using phpBB built-in groups function, so we end up creating a special group. I like it. I'm going to see about upgrading to phpBB3 tonight, and then I'll create that new group.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:I think this a pretty cool idea...I think we can accomplish it by using phpBB built-in groups function, so we end up creating a special group. I like it. I'm going to see about upgrading to phpBB3 tonight, and then I'll create that new group.
great!

What is your opinion about this?
studio32 wrote:Isn't it possible to define 'members only' a bit better?

When I register I'm a member... and am able to copy stuff etc.

Could we not add a smart tool or procedure to avoid this?

- you should ask for it, when you want to join that part.
- you should accept a form with some rules (e.g. don't distribute or copy things on that area of the forum etc.)

?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Jedee wrote:hi everyone,
still no mails for new reply's so sorry.... im replying very late..

what an response on a in my opinion a rather small question/idea

:D

awesome !

cheers Jedee
We told you, we're cool!
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Jedee wrote:eh misschien tijd voor langere veters :D:D:D straks ga je naast je schoenen lopen :D wahahahaha
We told you too, this is an international forum. Due to some historical development, we decided to communicate with the English language here... So could you translate it please?
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

hahaha lopen..that's a good word.

studio32

Post by studio32 »

MattKingUSA wrote:lopen
= to walk

don't start to walk next to your shoes....
don't get an attitude!
don't be arrogant!

that's what jd meant...