Wiki

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Right now I'm strongly leaning toward Dokuwiki, for general ease of use. I think it will serve our needs nicely! Will be testing some more this weekend. As far as Planet LM is concerned, I just you a PM, raboof!
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Maybe interesting for the news pages: http://intellectualmusician.com/

very interesting stuff and feeds...
mike_blackstock
Established Member

Post by mike_blackstock »

raboof wrote: Frankly, I never understood why this is an either-or question: why couldn't we have a web-based CVS/SVN frontend that, for all practical purposes, looks and feels like a wiki? 'wiki people' could use that, and those more comfortable with their own favourite CVS/SVN clients would be happy, too.
I dunno why either.. I went through this about a year ago, installing
3 different web front-ends to cvs but none of them had check-in, update
(and so on) functionality.
raboof wrote: The fact that none of the popular wiki softwares work like this seems to suggest this is not an option in practice, but I don't see why :).
I'll have another look around.. I'm thinking down the road if people
were working on a score with lots of parts - an orchestral score -
that the division of labor and structure of the project would more
closely resemble a programming code project using svn/cvs than
it would a wiki article project.

Well I see i've changed my mind again from this:
mike_blackstock wrote: I'm leaning toward wiki for reasons you mentioned below - lots
of people know how to use it already and the wikitex thing is
... but seeing as how this is 'linux musicians' I guess most people will
be familiar with cvs.

ok, enough talk, I'm gonna set something up, even if it's just for myself -
I have way too many .ly files not structured in any intelligent way.

Cheers,
Mike
mike_blackstock
Established Member

studio32 wrote:
It would be good if there's also a wysiwyg way to contribute to the scores.. but I think nted or Rosegarden can give a solution for this...
Indeed. In fact I've always though the x-desktop project has all
the bits and pieces for this type of thing: http://www.x-desktop.org

Cheers,
Mike
mike_blackstock
Established Member

raboof wrote:The 'wikitex' extension for mediawiki looks cool, too: it allows lilypond code in the wiki pages: http://wikitex.org/
There's a 'sandbox' for this at http://wikisophia.org/index.php?title=W ... ia:Sandbox
where you can try it out. I added a short Bach thing at the end and it rendered
it perfectly.

It gave me errors though when I tried a multi-staff piece but that's probably
due to me having spent only 5 minutes with it. I'm gonna install mediawiki and
wikitex and work on it some more. Already, I can see it would be useful to
put the lilypond tutorial into a wiki so that newbies can edit the examples and
see the effects of their changes. Also perhaps a tutorial for using lilypond
for guitar music would be useful, with tips and tricks.

Cheers,
Mike
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Is this our aim? http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php

We just have to translate that website :)
( http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... r=avbbf-us ) ;)
It's really great!

Why not cooperate with them, as they asked us? There is everything what we want on there website: #irc, forum, internal chat, links, howto's, wiki, news, sharing music, collaboration in making music, pictures of studio's, info for newbies etc etc etc. !!
Hello,

In the name of all the co-admins of www.LinuxMao.org, wich is a Tikiwiki [1] web site, I would like to know if there is an interest for any kind of collaboration in the field of (pirmarily) non-english Linux audio wikis ?

Sometimes ago one of our members, who is multilingual, expressed the wish to translate ours pages in german and spanish, which was favorably received by other members, later a polish user asked to translate part of our content for his own site (BTW, everything is under CC share alike license and there is no need for authorization). Then started the idea to ask here if there are other non-english people who want to involve themselves in the same kind of site but in their own native language. Either imitating us or cloning our "concept".

It's been 3 years that we run "Linuxmao" and we have reached over 1000 members (MAO stands for Musique Assistee par Ordinateur=Computer Aided Music). As non english linux users, we do have the need of reappropriation of all the english resources on the net. This has turned into a website specially aimed at easing newbies's life, as well as sharing various original infos for our advanced users. Our contents are not really encyclopedic but deal with a selection of the best applications for which we try to provide up to date informations and quick starter guides. Our site is not only a wiki, there are some forums, a megaphone (which is a quick chat box that adds some life), a news section that often pick up the news from LAA, an IRC channel on freenode (#linuxmao) and recently we started a collaborative Open CD project (files are shared via bittorrent). Well, this is a community web site. Smile

At the moment most of our articles are not yet complete, after all a wiki is an ever evolving thing and will be never really finished. But for sure it's been a very satisfying experience seeing this site evolving constantly with new interesting members arriving with fresh ideas. It would be great to share this to a higher (transnational) level.

So, the intent of this mail is to ask several questions here:

* Are there already some non english sites, specially in Spanish or German, about audio and computer music under Linux ? If not, are there some people here who would want to start one ?

* Would there be some interest to create a webring, some sort of collaboration between all of theses (possible) sites ?

* Then, what could be this collaboration (we have a member that has written scripts to handle properly the translation of the Ardour manual, for instance).

* Would it be pertinent to envision an user centric english site, wich could serve as the reference and the source for all the localized versions ? And, as theses kind of community sites provide forums wouldn' it help to gather a broader audience, given that mailing lists like LAU (yet great) lack a little of usability and accessibility ?

* Is there an interest for Tikiwiki as the CMS technology ? It would be possible to collaborate at this level too, sharing tricks and improvements. We are thinking about sharing a starter kit with already set up various modules so that people who would want to adopt TW will quickly get a working site like us.

Best regards,

N.R.

[1] www.tikiwiki.org
edit: I like to get some reactions. we can do all the work again, or just, get a 'starter kit' from them and get a website in english which is as great as they have!! Of course we call it linuxmusicians... and there can be some differences, but I think they have exactly the same aim as we have... Come on guys, there are a lot of opportunities here!!!!
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I checked out the Linuxmao.org site, and it is very cool!

I think it would be great to collaborate with them regarding wiki content, userguides, etc, especially if it's as easy as translating with Babelfish or Google translator. It seems like they are completely open to this, so I think it would be fine for any of our users translate content for our wiki. Let's make sure we link back to them in the wiki articles, though, so as give others even more resources for learning about music and Linux.

We've already kind of invested in the phpBB platform for the forum, though, so I don't plan on migrating to the Tiki suite.

Also, was this a post to the LinuxAudio mailing list? I'd like to contact the administrators directly regarding the webring idea. That could also be very cool.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:I checked out the Linuxmao.org site, and it is very cool!

I think it would be great to collaborate with them regarding wiki content, userguides, etc, especially if it's as easy as translating with Babelfish or Google translator. It seems like they are completely open to this, so I think it would be fine for any of our users translate content for our wiki. Let's make sure we link back to them in the wiki articles, though, so as give others even more resources for learning about music and Linux.
Thanks for your comment and great that you have positive feelings about it to, cause we don't have to do everyting again if it is not necesary.
We've already kind of invested in the phpBB platform for the forum, though, so I don't plan on migrating to the Tiki suite.
Can't we have both? The tiki suit with a link to the phpBB platform forum? I think it can and that is nice...
Also, was this a post to the LinuxAudio mailing list? I'd like to contact the administrators directly regarding the webring idea. That could also be very cool.
not only the lau list, read your own forum better! :/ ;)

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=239

Yes, contact with those guys would be cool. And a good coorporation can safe us a lot of time and can give the quality a boost...
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

studio32 wrote: Can't we have both? The tiki suit with a link to the phpBB platform forum? I think it can and that is nice...
The whole point of Tiki is to be "all -in-one" which of course has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Right now it seems kind of pointless to merely use part of the Tiki system if we're not going to use the whole thing.
not only the lau list, read your own forum better! :/ ;)

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=239
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, because unfortunately, I will never be able to read every post, especially in the "Totally Unrelated" forum. I depend on moderators and users to make me aware of information like this.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:
studio32 wrote: Can't we have both? The tiki suit with a link to the phpBB platform forum? I think it can and that is nice...
The whole point of Tiki is to be "all -in-one" which of course has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Right now it seems kind of pointless to merely use part of the Tiki system if we're not going to use the whole thing.
'not-all in one' can be cool too... and that doesn't mean we can't copy or use some things of the linuxmao community ;)
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

whoa great..wiki is up. but this is a lil different from my mediawiki experience so it's gonna take some time before i can feel comfortable putting in stuff :lol:
studio32

Post by studio32 »

What do you guys think about the WIKI so far? Do you have plans to make it better?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Is it possible to add *.ly (lilypond) score to our wiki? With <music> [file]</music>?
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I'll be checking into to available extensions for that.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:I'll be checking into to available extensions for that.
Ok, I was just wondering....

I know our forum member has started this one as a test first. http://draft.wikilily.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Maybe we can wait development of that and share lilypond scores on that website. Advantage of that website, in my opinion, is that website is a lilypond specialized website and our wiki is it not. So we might get a better learning curve and better sharing possibilities with more (experienced) people on the wikilily website...

If the wikilily website is ready we could discuss a closer coorporation.

But to have such an extension for our wiki too can't do much harm I think ;)