Deleted Thread?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Deleted Thread?

Post by khz »

khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589
viewtopic.php?f=19&p=92293#p92293

Unfortunately the thread (Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository / KXRepos and Debian PPAs) has been deleted?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Deleted Thread?

Post by raboof »

khz wrote:
khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589
viewtopic.php?f=19&p=92293#p92293

Unfortunately the thread (Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository / KXRepos and Debian PPAs) has been deleted?
Thanks for the heads-up.

The thread is still there, though the useful post has gone missing: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18940&p=96530

The google cache has a hint: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... irefox-b-d

Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

raboof wrote:Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.
Holy mackerel Batman! That's pretty serious. FalkTX is the maintainer of the KXStudio repository and his posts are pretty important! I hope you can get into contact with him and give him a new account etc.

Good luck in solving the problem!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

That's right, it's a pity about all contributions from FalkTX (and every other user of LM)!

But thanks for the quick answer raboof!
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

raboof wrote:Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.
Writing some script restoring those particular posts might be possible. Would you like to have some help with it?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Code: Select all

<@falktx> raboof: just saw a discussion on LM. I purposefully deleted my messages. I was looking for a way to delete my account, but could not find one, so I went with the closest thing to it
<@falktx> please do not bother creating an account for me there, I won't use it
:cry:

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I wondered if that was what happened.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Ok, he has right to do so, but I would consider that pretty nasty thing to do. I understand that he doesn't want to write anything new here anymore, but removing old posts! :evil:

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

milk wrote:

<@falktx> raboof: just saw a discussion on LM. I purposefully deleted my messages. I was looking for a way to delete my account, but could not find one, so I went with the closest thing to it
You sure that wan't a hacker talking? For somebody who has a warm heart for making music on Linux, like falkTX, it seems out of character to do something as drastic as this...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
milk wrote:

You sure that wan't a hacker talking? For somebody who has a warm heart for making music on Linux, like falkTX, it seems out of character to do something as drastic as this...
If falktx itself writes this as an answer in IRC it will probably be true.
Or was falktx also hacked in IRC ? ;-)

Well this shows me that posts or code can disappear quickly.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

like tears in the rain, and entirely foreseeable. well, at least the potential for someone to delete all their posts. forums aren't good systems for knowledge management given their user focused and temporal format.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

khz wrote:posts or code can disappear quickly.
With respect to code, at least we're lucky many distributions also hold on to the source packages.

With git, it's great how most contributors have a copy of the repository (with history), so even when the code hosting site goes away the collaboration can continue elsewhere.

Indeed forum posts are a bit more ephemeral. I think that's OK and in line with the medium. For long-term knowledge collection/sharing we should be using different tools - though admittedly the ones readily available don't seem great.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

raboof wrote:[...] Indeed forum posts are a bit more ephemeral. I think that's OK and in line with the medium. For long-term knowledge collection/sharing we should be using different tools - though admittedly the ones readily available don't seem great.
For example, the great LM Wiki, which is also a summary of the beginnings of LM, before the forum software change. When did nathan open Forum 1.0? Around 2006? Those were nice times and they are still nice times.

Thank you raboof for your continuous commitment here in the forum!
LM rocks!

And yes, I come from Germany and rather have a negative dialectic due to the influence of German philosophers. But I am a happy person. :-D
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

khz wrote:the great LM Wiki
what is the LM wiki?

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

milk wrote:what is the LM wiki?
khz wrote:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/start wrote:The wiki is a community effort: everyone is welcome to suggest features, help updating wiki pages or joining the development team!
<EDIT>Welcome! If you inform yourself about GNU/Linux, e.g. in the wiki, and find outdated, further, new entries you can report it immediately, you are invited to contribute.</EDIT>

Since I often read that the information from https://wiki.linuxaudio.org is (partly) outdated, my suggestion is:

Collect the obsolete entries here with the current correct correction worked out in community.

We can then add them to the wiki, i.e. bring the wiki up to date.
In my opinion this would help everyone.
https://linuxmusicians.com == https://wiki.linuxaudio.org IMHO
Source: Wiki update - viewtopic.php?p=98325#p98325 :D