Archlinux audio subforum

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Joermungand
Established Member

Archlinux audio subforum

Post by Joermungand »

There are already quite a few Archlinux users who think an Arch-dedicated subforum is called for in order to improve user experience for musicians electing to use Arch as their music-production distro (see e.g. https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 063#p67289). Arch is a protean environment, where a lot gets done, but where contributors’ individual efforts drive towards multiple targets, which results in an uncoordinated state of audio-related functionality. A place where Arch-specific issues could be discussed and potential solutions identified will help improve on the state of facts. Is it possible that we, Arch users, could get a specific subforum? If there is any overhead work involved, I am willing to undertake all related responsibilities. Thank you.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Archlinux audio subforum

Post by funkmuscle »

Nice. :D
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Don't think it's necessary myself, if it is really arch specific then use the arch forums?
Seems like a slippery precedent as well, why not gentoo? opensuse? fedora?
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Because Arch is fundamentally different. But then again, as I feared, it’s Arch philosophy: manage or drown. Works fine by me, I’ve always managed to get things sorted out for myself in Arch, that’s why I’m not leaving it any time soon. And I’ve already changed systems, HDD’s and the like, without ever reinstalling. If hardware fails me, no problem, I’ll take my system elsewhere. And that was possible because I’ve always struggled to get down to every problem on my own, I’ve never asked for help when something went wrong. But that’s not the idea. It’s not about getting Archlinux to work (it already does that), it’s about getting what’s necessary for musicians to enjoy it, as ell as whatever else Arch has to offer. That, too, is Arch philosophy. Arch forums are for Arch. This should be for musicians using Arch. Not quite the same thing. I’ll follow my track, irrespective of what happens here, with or without any help. But that’s not what should happen. That’s why I started this in the first place.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Fair enough.
I just didn't think it was that much different really, I would imagine the only significant difference would be some newer packages and a different package manager. I guess it could be useful for some though.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Joermungand wrote:A place where Arch-specific issues could be discussed and potential solutions identified will help improve on the state of facts. Is it possible that we, Arch users, could get a specific subforum?
If there's demand I'm certainly open to creating a new subforum.

We should be clear about focus/scope though: we currently have forums organized by theme (e.g. 'Notation Editors'). It would be a shame if topics about "Notation editors on Arch" would get spread out over the "Arch" and "Notation Editors" forums.

Would something like an "Arch packaging" forum under "Developers' Section" make sense? Or is that too narrow?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

raboof wrote:
Joermungand wrote:A place where Arch-specific issues could be discussed and potential solutions identified will help improve on the state of facts. Is it possible that we, Arch users, could get a specific subforum?

We should be clear about focus/scope though: we currently have forums organized by theme (e.g. 'Notation Editors'). It would be a shame if topics about "Notation editors on Arch" would get spread out over the "Arch" and "Notation Editors" forums.

Would something like an "Arch packaging" forum under "Developers' Section" make sense? Or is that too narrow?
raboof it's sounds good to me. Let's see what others say.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Actually, it’s far more than that. It’s about what packages you get, how you get them, and when you get them. Arch is pretty much a shifty environment audio-wise – all the more so as many of the audio-related packages are provided by AUR. Things change, many are left out or just left behind. And, while Arch is generally in line with the latest developments, it is not (always) so with audio. What Arch needs is a KXStudio-like phenomenon: not a new distro, but a methodical, organised way to get everything in place for music production. And if we don’t do it here there’ll be a great many bumps in the road ahead. It’s not an Arch thing, it’s an Arch musicians’ thing. I’ve got my fingers dirty before, not shy of that, I just think it’s high time it made a difference for more that just myself.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

funkmuscle wrote:
raboof wrote:

raboof it's sounds good to me. Let's see what others say.
I second that. It’s all about packaging at the end of the day.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I'm a little hesitant about this simply because it at least has a high potential for a lot of overlap with other forums. For example my plugins recently had issues that were first spotted by arch users, and I wouldn't have seen the reports were they in an arch subforum. Would a sticky thread in the distros section work?

But kxstudio does have their own subforum (an arch subforum seems like it would fit best next to that) and you can always tell them to go ask in a different subforum if their question doesn't match the scope. So as long as you strive to keep it within the scope you decide on, I'm ok with it.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
looplog
Established Member

Post by looplog »

Speaking personally, I have drifted away from Arch for audio use though it remains my daily use desktop distro. The main reason is that falkTX is just too damn good at what he does (yay falk!) and kxstudio packages provide a much better experience. That being said, I would prefer to see Arch offer a similar experience. I wonder though if another forum will actually help with this. There is already the Archaudio forum plus the two arch audio related mailing lists, and these receive little use. If anything, the admittedly very small Arch audio community stands to get further splintered...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

looplog wrote:Speaking personally, I have drifted away from Arch for audio use though it remains my daily use desktop distro. The main reason is that falkTX is just too damn good at what he does (yay falk!) and kxstudio packages provide a much better experience. That being said, I would prefer to see Arch offer a similar experience. I wonder though if another forum will actually help with this. There is already the Archaudio forum plus the two arch audio related mailing lists, and these receive little use. If anything, the admittedly very small Arch audio community stands to get further splintered...
Archaudio seems to be very very dead or inactive. Once every 18 months or so somebody would update something on there. It's not as active as other pro audio sites. Kxstudio, I've got mostly everything from it running. Falk actually did start so AURs going but I usually install everything from git...
Arch issues I think deal mostly with their philosophies. A fast in the forums many times for help on audio and you have to be very careful on how you word it or somebody will chew your head off. That's my only complaint about the distro. Actually help on a lot of things you'll get attitude if you don't ask it the way they want you to.
It's still my favorite and I've been using it for about 10 years now.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

@Joermungand, Ardour-4.4.1.143?!?!?!
where and how do other distros have it and it's not even on the Ardour site?
Do you know anything about it?
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

funkmuscle wrote:@Joermungand, Ardour-4.4.1.143?!?!?!
No, I don’t. Git, maybe?

You know, I’ve intentionally let this thread simmer for some time, see what would come up. In truth, I’d already made my mind. Judging by the response it received, I don’t think there is much of a reason to actually start a subforum. There might be users relying on Arch out there, but they don’t show up in here and sure as hell they won’t undertake related responsibilities . For the purpose of this forum, there will be so few people involved that it’s more feasible to just use private messaging to communicate. We know who we are, so that’s not going to be a problem.

As far as I’m concerned, I’ll just do whatever I’ve always done: draft up a plan, talk to the people in charge with the Archaudio repo, set up a few threads on their forum (as needed), do whatever it takes to get things up to speed – in general, fight my battles on my own: it’s always proved most fruitful. I know there’s a lot of work, but that’s never scared me. I’ll keep you posted (by PM), every now and then, perhaps ask for suggestions. I don’t think there’s much more to be done as things are.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Joermungand wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:@Joermungand, Ardour-4.4.1.143?!?!?!
No, I don’t. Git, maybe?

You know, I’ve intentionally let this thread simmer for some time, see what would come up. In truth, I’d already made my mind. Judging by the response it received, I don’t think there is much of a reason to actually start a subforum. There might be users relying on Arch out there, but they don’t show up in here and sure as hell they won’t undertake related responsibilities . For the purpose of this forum, there will be so few people involved that it’s more feasible to just use private messaging to communicate. We know who we are, so that’s not going to be a problem.

As far as I’m concerned, I’ll just do whatever I’ve always done: draft up a plan, talk to the people in charge with the Archaudio repo, set up a few threads on their forum (as needed), do whatever it takes to get things up to speed – in general, fight my battles on my own: it’s always proved most fruitful. I know there’s a lot of work, but that’s never scared me. I’ll keep you posted (by PM), every now and then, perhaps ask for suggestions. I don’t think there’s much more to be done as things are.
You're right because they are many of them in the audio group on Facebook for Linux. They ask a lot of questions on there and I will send them over to this site but not too many ventured over yet because a lot of these guys didn't know too much about the audio capabilities of Linux until recently.