Cookie Expiration and "Log me in automatically"

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Cookie Expiration and "Log me in automatically"

Post by GraysonPeddie »

How long does a cookie expire after I choose to log me in automatically? Almost every time I come to LinuxMusicians to check up in the latest threads, I had to re-login again. The forum does not take "Log me in automatically" into account.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Luc
Established Member

Re: Cookie Expiration and "Log me in automatically"

Post by Luc »

I wanted to file the same complaint and found this thread, so I support it wholeheartedly.

I like to come here and read stuff and unwind from my tedious job so I created a bookmark for the Active Topics page. But every time I visit it, I land on a page that says I can't view it because the cookie has expired, so I have to click a link that takes me to the the Login page, then I have to click a button (at least the browser fills in the login data automatically), and finally I land on... the forum index, which I consider useless most of the time. After all that, I can close that tab and finally launch my bookmark as intended.

And that happens several times a day! Grumble... :x

Frankly, I use Linux most of all because it's clearly made for people who think quick. It lets me have all kinds of GUI, script and general action shortcuts to get things done at near thought-speed, unlike that other stupid OS where you accomplish nothing without a mouse on your hand, a clueless look on your face and an endless string of clicks. Remove the speed bump, please.

I can't remember the last time I had to log in at linuxquestions.org. My cookie there has been valid for years.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Luc wrote:My cookie there has been valid for years.
And even if it did expire, writing a cron job to update it sounds like a perfectly "Linux" thing to do, am I right? :D
emarsk
Established Member

Post by emarsk »

I never have to re- log in here, the cookie seem to be always valid (I don't remember since when).
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

GraysonPeddie wrote:How long does a cookie expire after I choose to log me in automatically? Almost every time I come to LinuxMusicians to check up in the latest threads, I had to re-login again. The forum does not take "Log me in automatically" into account.
I'd like to help but am not sure where to start.

Looking at the chrome developer tools it seems the cookies themselves are valid for a long time (~ a year). At the phpBB configuration side, "ACP -> Security Settings -> Allow Persistant Logins" is enabled, "Persistent login key expiration" is disabled entirely.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 6&t=622285 has a lot of posts but I didn't see anything prominent yet.

You never click 'logout', do you? Any ideas? I'm open to trying stuff :)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Luc wrote:I like to come here and read stuff and unwind from my tedious job so I created a bookmark for the Active Topics page. But every time I visit it, I land on a page that says I can't view it because the cookie has expired, so I have to click a link that takes me to the the Login page, then I have to click a button (at least the browser fills in the login data automatically), and finally I land on... the forum index
Interesting, that appears to be different between 'active topics' and 'new posts' then.

The 'I'm sent to the forum index instead of the 'active topics' page after login' issues seems like an upstream phpBB thing, right? Have you found it reported there?
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

raboof wrote:You never click 'logout', do you? Any ideas? I'm open to trying stuff :)
No, I did not.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.