useless and/or spam accounts

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tux99
Established Member

Re: useless and/or spam accounts

Post by tux99 »

They could be legitimate members that only lurk, most forums have far more lurkers than active members and there is nothing wrong with that. No member account should be deleted unless the member has actually posted spam, there is no harm in keeping currently inactive accounts.

With regards to the birthday, most people don't set that, I certainly never do, and when I'm forced to then I just set January 1st.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

falkTX, thanks for reporting.
tux99 wrote:No member account should be deleted unless the member has actually posted spam, there is no harm in keeping currently inactive accounts.
A lot of bots only become active months after their accounts got created. So keeping inactive accounts is not always completely harmless. Other than that you're right, no account should be bluntly deleted. Besides, those 9 accounts are just the tip of the iceberg, there are 1999 other inactive accounts and I don't feel like sifting through all of those.
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

The forum software allows users to be pruned, e.g. any accounts that have zero posts AND are more than 3 moths old. A couple of other forums I use do this.