(Firefox) Untrusted Connection

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Re: (Firefox) Untrusted Connection

Post by raboof »

falkTX wrote:Opening this forum in firefox has recently gave this warning:
This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to linuxmusicians.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
(and then the usual of the firefox dialog)

this only appears in the https:// version
Yep. That's because we didn't buy a certificate for the linuxmusicians.com hostname. Even if we'd have one, I'm not sure if we have the proper control over the apache config to serve those 2 certificates side-by-side (and not sure if it's possible at all on 1 IP, but i do think so).

Using https on this site will give you *some* protection (i.e. it will encrypt your traffic but still be vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks), so I don't think we should disable it entirely, but I don't really think it's worth it to go 'all the way' with it either.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

raboof wrote:Yep. That's because we didn't buy a certificate for the linuxmusicians.com hostname. Even if we'd have one, I'm not sure if we have the proper control over the apache config to serve those 2 certificates side-by-side (and not sure if it's possible at all on 1 IP, but i do think so).
Don't you need just one certificate with some aliases (wiki., planet., forum. and www.)?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

AutoStatic wrote:
raboof wrote:Yep. That's because we didn't buy a certificate for the linuxmusicians.com hostname. Even if we'd have one, I'm not sure if we have the proper control over the apache config to serve those 2 certificates side-by-side (and not sure if it's possible at all on 1 IP, but i do think so).
Don't you need just one certificate with some aliases (wiki., planet., forum. and www.)?
Possibly, but that'd need to be specified when the certificate is requested. Looks like this is our hosters' certificate, all depends on how they've set things up.