New ARM Linux subforum

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

StephDAVOS
Established Member

New ARM Linux subforum

Post by StephDAVOS »

This is gonna be big soon. We need some place for it. Especially now that Ubuntu for Android goes beta.
English Guy
Established Member

Re: New ARM Linux subforum

Post by English Guy »

I would be very interested to know if anyone from here has had any success with the Raspberry Pi for music production.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

You mean the ARM proccessors? Seems like with linux they could just make an audio interfacewith something the size of rassbery pi in it and an hdmi out. You'd just plug the interface into your tv and bam instant daw anywhere you go. If you could get it to obey voice commands you wouldn't ene need a keyboard or a mouse. Matbe just a usb port so you could update the software.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

I don't think ARM needs a separate subforum, I mean once you run Linux on ARM it's just another piece of hardware running Linux, it doesn't matter that the cpu is ARM or AMD or Intel, you still run the same Linux software on top of it so the existing subforums are IMHO just fine for Linux on ARM.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

What tux99 says is mostly true although many Linux audio apps are written to take advantage of SSE which is not available on the ARM processors so not only are you limited by the inferior horsepower of ARM CPUs, Linux audio/video apps are generally optimised for x86/SSE and not ARM/NEON.

EnglishGuy:

I spent some time messing with Linux audio on my Pandaboard and seeing as the Panda community could care less about my LA adventures, I posted my findings on the RPi forums who showed a bit more interest:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=12920
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

Dirt cheap chinese ARM based OEM Google TV boxes are going to be everywhere soon. I hope somebody works on a dedicated music distro. Those little boxes attached to some UCA202 could do wonder at replacing expensive dedicated units providing unmatched tweakability and insane bang for the buck. I can't wait.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

tux99 wrote:I don't think ARM needs a separate subforum, I mean once you run Linux on ARM it's just another piece of hardware running Linux, it doesn't matter that the cpu is ARM or AMD or Intel, you still run the same Linux software on top of it so the existing subforums are IMHO just fine for Linux on ARM.
I tend to agree with this - posts about music on ARM can go into the regular forums for now. When we see a flood of them coming in we can introduce a specific subforum for them :)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I still think we should have a dedicated forum for plugins + FX but non of the admins ever said yea or nea.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I would like to second the motion. I mean god, the android forum hardly gets used, but it's there. I think devices like raspberry pi, and the flood of cheap chinese android ARM devices coming could really be something. I'd really like to start experimenting with turning raspberry pi and the like into an on stage fx processor, midi slave, etc. There's a lot of audio uses for these small low power devices if properly configured. It would be nice to have a place to go and find what's available for ARM.

God, wouldn't I like to see JACK ported, first and foremost...

But for now I guess, wait to open the floodgates til the water gets here!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

i2productions wrote:God, wouldn't I like to see JACK ported, first and foremost...
JACK works on the Raspberry Pi. I'll open a new topic about the Raspberry Pi and music production to post my findings.
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

Awesome ! Yes please to that !
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Had an idea for a compromise. The android forum has only had 12 posts in over a year of operation. Maybe we could retitle it Android/ARM Audio. I'm planning on doing a lot of work on and writing about the raspberry pi for music production.

(Posted from my Raspberry pi running Arch w/e17 in 30 megs of RAM!)