MidiLoops - aleatoric midi sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Louigi Verona
Established Member

MidiLoops - aleatoric midi sequencer

Post by Louigi Verona »

What is it good for?

For ambient soundscapes as well as for thoughtful melodic passages. Particularly good to trigger sound effects and thus create a variable, naturally sounding landscape of ambience.

What does it do?

The idea is quite simple - you give it a time range, within which it decides a random moment to trigger a note. When the note finished playing (which is determined by is duration), MidiLoops once more chooses a random moment within the defined period to trigger the note again. So what is accomplished is a non-regular sequence of notes.
Additionally, each module offers 5 different notes to trigger, as well as a quick switch between scales.

By combining several modules triggering different sounds at different rates, complex soundscapes and melodic lines can be generated. The signature feature of this particular method of generation is that it is capable of sounding natural as opposed to typical generated note sequences which usually give an impression of being generated rather than composed/played.

Where to download?

http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projec ... _midiloops
StudioDave
Established Member

Re: MidiLoops - aleatoric midi sequencer

Post by StudioDave »

Hey Louigi,

I checked it out with Pd-L2Ork, it works out of the box. I hooked up an instance of QSynth for a quick test, the patch works fine here. Nice work !

Best,

dp
StoneCut
Established Member

Post by StoneCut »

I'm feeling stupid ... how do I install and use this ?
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

StoneCut wrote:I'm feeling stupid ... how do I install and use this ?
It needs Pure Data to work, which means you install Pd, open it, then launch the MidiLoops.pd file.

You don't need to know anything else about Pd to use the looper, but you do need to install it.

Best,

dp
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

I think this should work in Pd vanilla (meaning regular Pd), but if you can I suggest you install Pd-extended. It includes more packages.
StoneCut
Established Member

Post by StoneCut »

StudioDave wrote:It needs Pure Data to work, which means you install Pd, open it, then launch the MidiLoops.pd file.

You don't need to know anything else about Pd to use the looper, but you do need to install it.

Best,
dp
Thanks !! Will try later tonight.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Guys, fixed a bug (stack overflow due to infinite loop), plus added a couple of global controls and did some minor adjustments, like going for seconds instead of milliseconds in GUI. Same link, do re-download!