Ardour- architecture-independent data files ?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mark_1
Established Member

Ardour- architecture-independent data files ?

Post by Mark_1 »

Hi, I'm am relatively new to the whole PC based audio approach but I'm finding it to be very flexible and very capable. I've finally decided to stop 'playing' and I've built a rig specifically for audio use. (I am using KXstudio repositories & running Linux mint 19.2) I have installed Ardour but noticed that there is a package called 'ardour-data' which contains the 'architecture-independent data files.' can anyone tell me what these are and if I should install this package. As far as I can tell this package is not a dependency for Ardour.

Thanks
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Ardour- architecture-independent data files ?

Post by Michael Willis »

Looking at the list of files in that package, I see presets, icons, and Lua scripts. I'm not sure why it's not pulled in as a dependency, but it looks like it should probably be installed, and in the very least it didn't seem like it would have any disadvantages, performance or otherwise.
Mark_1
Established Member

Re: Ardour- architecture-independent data files ?

Post by Mark_1 »

Michael, thanks for the quick response. I have been experimenting with Ardour, recording various inputs from Rakarrack, Guitarix, Qsynth & Zynaddsubfx. I had not installed the 'ardour-data' package at this point and it all seams to work as it should, then I installed the data files and as you suggested it doesn't appear to have affected anything, and as far as I can tell it all still works as it should. Trouble is that I just don't like not knowing what stuff does!

Cheers