Ardour: Now output sound upon playback of track Mint

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arpegadream
Established Member

Ardour: Now output sound upon playback of track Mint

Post by arpegadream »

I'm new to all of this, and still learning Linux, I've made some progress over the few months, but I don't know what is going on.

It took some doing, but I did have Ardour recording and playing back my electric from my amp, but when I plugged in my headphones in my front jack of the computer (Linux Mint on ASUS Z97 Pro board) sound wouldn't come out but the hum. Then I unplugged and it took a reboot to get back to normal.

I have jack running but I don't even remember all the particulars to jack.

This is a bit overwhelming. All I really want to do is record my playing so that I can remember things I came up with.
arpegadream
Established Member

Re: Ardour: Now output sound upon playback of track Mint

Post by arpegadream »

I just tried exporting to FLAC and playing it back with Clementine and no sound comes out, but I can see the waveform that a track WAS recorded in Ardour.

I'm lost and there is so much to learn with this software, right now I wish I had something easier to use for now.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

arpegadream wrote: [...] I did have Ardour recording and playing back [...] I have jack running [...] This is a bit overwhelming. All I really want to do is record my playing so that I can remember things I came up with.
You don't necessarily have to use Ardour and/or Jack. Ardour is a full blown digital audio workstation (DAW) and can be very intimidating and complex. You can try with Audacity first. I've no experience w/ Ardour but exporting something to MP3 if you indeed succeeded to record something should be easily possible: I'm convinced somebody on this forum will help you.

If you have no audio from your headphones then you might have to activate it in a Mixer (or put the volume way up in the Mixer) like the program "alsamixer" (on the command line). If you are using Jack you might have to connect the output of your audio player to your headphones or make sure that the audio player is using Jack for its output instead Alsa (Alsa usually is standard).

Good luck! :)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

arpegadream wrote:It took some doing, but I did have Ardour recording and playing back my electric from my amp,
If you've got that far, I'd say you've cracked it.

Did you use an audio interface to record and play back? If so the headphone jack won't work -- it's one sound interface at a time. Use the same interface that you used for recording and play back for headphones if possible.

You could get the headphone jack working, but it would be quite an involved process at this stage.
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

no interface, just my motherboard sound chips, ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard. I use the Line in for the guitar amp and the front headphone jack for headphones. I have searched and searched with no luck on how to solve this.
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

I figured some of it out and made the first recording. Need to RTFM all the way now...
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

arpegadream wrote:I figured some of it out and made the first recording.
That's great news. At some point you might consider getting an external sound interface, but if your onboard sound is working for you, by all means keep working with that. I'm looking forward to hearing your music!
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

arpegadream wrote:no interface, just my motherboard sound chips, ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard. I use the Line in for the guitar amp and the front headphone jack for headphones. I have searched and searched with no luck on how to solve this.
I misunderstood.

When you said you had play back working could you hear it? Or was it just the meters kicking?

You've got a few options. As @Linuxmusician01 said you could try Audacity. You could try Ardour with ALSA. You could try alsamixer. You could persevere with Ardour and JACK. This diagram might help with the concept of the Linux sound stack :
ALSAJACKPyramid.png
ALSAJACKPyramid.png (40.87 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Ok, when I plugged in my headphone into the front jack the sound got disabled in Ardour again and I can't figure out what changed and how to fix it. Frustrating. Please if anyone might have suggestions. Every other audio program seems to run fine. There is no headphone option in ALSO mixer.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

arpegadream wrote: when I plugged in my headphone into the front jack the sound got disabled in Ardour again
I'm not sure what you mean. Did Ardour stop playing i.e. did the transport stop, or was there no sound and the transport kept rolling and meters kept kicking? And was there sound before you plugged the headphones in?
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

The waveforms for the Audio 1 and 2 show up, the recording waveform is there. The metronome is audible, but I get no sound of the recording, the waveform even after unplugging front headphone jack and even after rebooting. This is driving me batty.
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Ardour loads but does not play the loaded recording, but metronome is audible.meters reading fine.
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

When I double click on the recording wave form and choose audition the line doesn't move but the track plays.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I see. Well, don't go batty.

If you can hear the metronome it's working. You must have some routing wrong. On every Ardour mixer strip there are two buttons labelled 'In' and 'Disk'. To hear what you've recorded they need to be on 'Disk'.
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

ok I changed to disk and still no sound except metronome