[Solved] Can I use SunVox in a DAW like Qtractor?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

[Solved] Can I use SunVox in a DAW like Qtractor?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Can I use SunVox in a DAW like Qtractor? You can make nice synthesizers in SunVox. I'd like to use them just like you'd use a VST-instrument.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Wed May 08, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Can I use SunVox in a DAW like Qtractor?

Post by sysrqer »

You can make your own instruments and sequence them in sunvox so yes you can use it like qtractor. If you like the kind of workflow that sunvox provides then you should try renoise (although I guess you already have) but sunvox is pretty cool as well.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:You can make your own instruments and sequence them in sunvox so yes you can use it like qtractor. If you like the kind of workflow that sunvox provides then you should try renoise (although I guess you already have) but sunvox is pretty cool as well.
Thank you. What I meant is that I'd like to use Qtractor as a DAW and SunVox as one of my plugins.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

AFAIK it's a standalone app. So it's not possible to load it in qtractor.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
sysrqer wrote:You can make your own instruments and sequence them in sunvox so yes you can use it like qtractor. If you like the kind of workflow that sunvox provides then you should try renoise (although I guess you already have) but sunvox is pretty cool as well.
Thank you. What I meant is that I'd like to use Qtractor as a DAW and SunVox as one of my plugins.
In that case no, although I think you could route midi to it and audio back to your daw, Alternatively Redux is a sampler (which you can make synths with) with a tracker interface, this situation was exactly why it was created.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Carla session with SunVox added as a JACK Application, then that loaded in Qtractor via Carla-as-a-plugin? Is that a thing yet? I need to reboot to fix a DBus problem to try, but I can't reboot yet as I'm downloading something mega sloooow..

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Thank you all for the replies. I thought that maybe one could "send" the output from the Midi sequencer from Qtractor to SunVox. Then recording the audio output from SunVox might be possible on an audio track in Qtractor. But I am beginning to fear that that's not possible.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I thought that maybe one could "send" the output from the Midi sequencer from Qtractor to SunVox. Then recording the audio output from SunVox might be possible on an audio track in Qtractor. But I am beginning to fear that that's not possible.
Why do you think it's not possible? Just connect the midi out from qtractor to the midi in of sunvox. Sunvox does support midi doesn't it?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I thought that maybe one could "send" the output from the Midi sequencer from Qtractor to SunVox. Then recording the audio output from SunVox might be possible on an audio track in Qtractor. But I am beginning to fear that that's not possible.
Why do you think it's not possible? Just connect the midi out from qtractor to the midi in of sunvox. Sunvox does support midi doesn't it?
It might be. Problem is that SunVox does not use Alsa Midi but Jack's "midi version" (or what ever). I have to use a2jm and I have no experience with it. I did manage to use my midi keyboard w/ SunVox with the aid of

Code: Select all

a2jmidid --export-hw
Can't get Qtractor to play the SunVox synth though... Screenshot of QJackctl:
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Managed to play Sunvox in QTractor (note: SunVox doesn't support Alsa Midi, only Jack Midi):
  1. Start Jack.
  2. On the command line, to let SunVox show up in QJackctl's "Connections" window under the tab "Midi" (which is Jack's Midi, the "Alsa" tab is Alsa's Midi):

Code: Select all

a2jmidid --export-hw
  3. Start QTractor.
  4. In QTractor I make a new track (Midi), add a clip, add some notes in the piano roll and let that loop.
  5. In the "Connections - Midi" window from QJackctl connect "QTractor Master" output to "SunVox Keyboard" input.
Jack Midi is connected:

Bus Alsa Midi is not:

Didn't work in the beginning so I thought that QTractor won't work w/ Jack Midi. But then all of a sudden it automagically worked. I've had that before w/ SunVox. After waiting a few minutes it works... It seems to apply settings very late or something... Weird! :mrgreen:
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: [Solved] Can I use SunVox in a DAW like Qtractor?

Post by sysrqer »

Nice! I was always impressed with sunvox's instruments too so good to know this can be done.